Windows XP booting thingy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I am having the strangest windows problem that I have ever suffered over my years of windows usage :p
My dvd drive has stopped working, every time I try to load a dvd disc my computer freezes. I found that strange and I googled it to see if anyone else had had that problem.
Somewhere along the way I found someone saying that it was maybe a master/slave problem thingy.
So I decided to open my compy up and fiddle a little bit with the jumper on the drive.
Well, that didn't work and now every time I start up my compy I can't boot it up with the hard drive, I have to have the Windows disk in the drive ( because it can read normal cds ) .
can anyone tell me how to fix it so I don'T have to have the disk every time I start the windows, because I don't want to have to format yet again :S.

Thanks in advance.

How are your drives connected ? ?
How many drives/type do you have in that system ? ?
Which jumpers did you change ? ?
More info and someone will be along shortly to assist.

patio. :cool:

okay, I have four drives. three hard disks and one dvd/cd rom.
I didn't touch the hard drives but I tried to change the jumper on the dvd drive. The first time I started the compy again it all crashed on me. So I changed it back and it didn't help. Then I thought I'd just let the windows disk repair my existing windows thingy but that didn't help either :S

I don't rightfully know how they are connected or how many jumpers I have... I was just happy that they all worked at the same time when I put the thing togeather.

Welcome Syruss

here's my cable list
IDE jumpers
cable `1 C drive or boot drive master (at far end of cable
2nd drive on cable slave
cable `2 cd or dvd master (again end of cable
last HDD slave
now as far as the repair (OOPS)
you havn't messed with the bios so leave it alone.
I don't think anything would have changed there by itself.
but if you want to have a look around on boot hit delete key and see what your bootup sequance is
if not booting from cd it should be the HDD drive and it will possibly show as the 0 drive then the cd drive make sure floppy seek is disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back