TechSpot

Windows XP crashes with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Error

By Milky_Joe
Jul 3, 2006
  1. Hi, recently my PC has developed a fault. It is taking between 15-30mins to boot up into Windows XP (Home Edition) and after about 3mins its crashes and flashes up a blue screen with the following error message before restarting,

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Its also mentions the following driver on this screen, Si3112r.sys. Which I understand is related to the SATA drive I have installed.

Can anyone help me with this fault? I would be very grateful for any help as I am a bit of a novice with these kinds of things. If you need any more information please ask, I currently have this drive installed in another PC and I can still access it.

Many Thanks

2. striker16

striker16 TS Rookie

did you try to re install your driver?

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

This refers to a chipset driver. Get the latest drivers for your motherboard and reinstall. We cannot be for sure unless you post the last 2-3 minidumps as a zipped attachment.

4. Milky_Joe

Milky_Joe TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have managed to find and download the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard, but when i try to install them my PC crashes to quickley, is there an alternative way to install them without being in Windows??

Thanks for your replies

5. Condor

Condor TS Maniac Posts: 388

Overheating problem?

I would clean install window xp if you doesn't have any important files.

6. Milky_Joe

Milky_Joe TS Rookie Topic Starter

I dont think its an over heating problem to be honest as I have plenty of cooling installed. I have some important files on this drive that i cant afford to loose. I have put the drive into another PC and have full access to all the files on the drive, i wondered if there it was possible to replace the corrupted files like this?

Thanks

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.