Windows XP Disk Check Error!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Seuss

i recently told my computer to perform a disk check (just as routine maintainance) and it completes all the task perfectly except
"CHKDSK is verifying usn journal..."
at this point the computer stops doing anything.

does anyone know the reason for this?
if not does anyone know how to cancel a schedualed Disk Check and now it tries to do one every time it starts up.

i have recently had a virus/spyware/adware infection which i believe i now have under control (just incase this information helps in anyway)

Many Thanks for any help

Dr_seuss
anythingondisc@hotmail.com

Hi Doc

If your unable to start into windows,,you will need to boot from the XP CD and choose to enter the recovery console.

Once you are in the console issue the following command

fsutil usn deletejournal /d c:

That should stop it however Windows Live Messenger 8.0 installs a service that uses the USN journal for the Sharing Folders feature, and if its installed then it may start doing it again.

Regards

tried doing what you said but unfortunatly it has not helped the problem, i can still get into windows if i cancel the disk check before it starts but i have never had this problem before this virus....can anyone help??

Hi Doc

Sorry about the delay in replying, I did have a post somewhere that stated how to unset the dirty bit in a CMD box, the only advice I can offer is to slave the drive up to another machine and use that to run chkdsk on it, as there will be no locked files it should run through and clear the dirty bit.

The dirty bit is what XP marks the drive with so that on each bootup autochk is called by the kernel, until its removed it will keep trying to check the disk.

If I find the post I will post back...

regards

Found the post here .
And the original TS one here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back