Windows XP does not shutdown properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused: I seem to be having a unique (????) problem with Windows XP. The system has somehow gotten stuck in the on mode and will not restart. It all started when I downloaded/installed some auto updates, including a security fix for Microsoft Outlook from Microsoft. It required that I restart the computer for the updates to be installed. After pressing OK, the computer rebooted and all but the Outlook fix installed. The message was that the update could not be completed for Outlook. After that the system has been stuck in the on mode. Each time I try to restart, it shuts down as a result nothing has installed properly. I can not even get the "My Computer" icon to stay on the desk top with out dragging it there. Of course, this is only a shortcut pointer,not the usual place on desk top icon. Right now the affected computer does not stay on anymore. It starts up, loads the post info then the screen goes blank and eventually stays blank until I manually shut it down. Well, I'll stop now.

Any insight into this problem will be greatly appreciated.

What kind of post beeps do you get? Have you tried to boot from your Win XP CD? Have you tried to do a repair install with your Win XP CD? If you need help with repairing Win XP let us know. There is an excellent post on this board on how to do it.

If you can not boot from your Windows XP CD, there is something fundamentally wrong, because you will have eliminated your Hard Drive and OS on that HD.

Ofori

Thanks to TangoTrolly for responding to my question regarding Windows not shutting down properly after downloading and installing an update from Microsoft for Outlook. The problem has been resolved. Believe or not, it was the power supply that was shorting out. I simply changed the lead (the extra for the 48 pin socket) and every thing has been working fine since.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back