Windows XP doesn't start/hangs & crashes on install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pentium 3 800MHZ
384MB SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9550 (256MB)

Hi there

I have recently bought a jetway p4xfcu motherboard and have had a few problems starting/installing windows xp.

The setup i am trying to run is -

Jetway P4XFCU motherboard
Intel Celeron 2.0ghz Processor
256mb 133 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9550 (256MB)

My previous/current setup is -

Compaq Motherboard
Pentium 3 800MHZ
384MB SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9550 (256MB)

I have taken the hard drive from my old computer and installed it with the setup above with a Windows XP Pro install.

My computer starts up and passes the BIOS, it then asks me how i would like to start Windows (normaly/last known good configuration/safe mode/etc.) None of these work.

When i try a fresh install of Windows XP, setup starts, then i format my drive, choose where to install Windows and then i get the "Windows is copying the files needed for setup" part.

It is at this point that my computer hangs and the percentage that the bar goes up gets slower and slower, untill it moves 1% in about 6 - 7 hours. I've tried leaving it but it won't go any further than about 56%......This took about 10 hours + and this usually takes about 5 minutes.

I have also tried installing Windows 98, but the same problem occurs "setup is copying files needed for setup wizard", doesn't load.

I have tried quite alot of different combinations of things to solve this but it doesn't help.

If anyone could shed some light on this problem it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

Reset your motherboards bios to failsafe defaults. Install only one memory stick. Remove the AGP video card and install a PCI based card for the OS install only. Retry the OS install now

I haven't got another card, only my AGP (no onboard either), i have reset my BIOS before, and loaded the defaults and this has not helped.

Nafe said:
I haven't got another card, only my AGP (no onboard either), i have reset my BIOS before, and loaded the defaults and this has not helped.

See if you can borrow a PCI video card from a friend, or a PC repair shop

Why would this work rather than my graphics card?

On my current sytem i can install Windows XP with the AGP card in.

Just out of interest, why wouldn't Windows XP install on my computer because of my AGP card?

Thanks

Nafe said:
Why would this work rather than my graphics card?

On my current sytem i can install Windows XP with the AGP card in.

Just out of interest, why wouldn't Windows XP install on my computer because of my AGP card?

Thanks

You asked for help with a failed XP install. I am trying to provide you with that help. If you don't want to do what I've asked you to do, that's your call. Good luck!

Sorry, just wondering why, i wuold of just liked to know why thats all, sorry if i have hurt your feelings :). Thanks for the advice, its just i haven't got another card and wondered why, and if there was any other way.

Once again sorry if you misunderstood my comment.

Thanks

Your Jetway motherboard isn't real good. I repair a lot of "not real good" systems. There are a few basic things to do for a failed XP install. Replacing AGP video cards with simple PCI graphics cards is a common practice for problems like this. Don't worry, after the XP install completes, you can reinstall your AGP card. One other thing, if you have any network cards, add-on cards like extra USB or modems... remove them before you remove the AGP card and try the OS install again with the AGP card installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back