TechSpot

Windows XP Freezes when it gets to Login screen

By Olego
Oct 2, 2005
  1. I have a old Latitude, that has neither a floppy drive nor a CD drive. Now, you might wonder how I got XP onto it in the first place, but with a few strokes of luck (namely, CD emulation and copying WinXP.ISO onto the laptop harddrive) I managed to install it.

The problem is that it freezes when I get to login screen. If I boot in safe mode, everything's fine. If I boot it normal mode, I can begin to type my password if I'm fast enough, but then it freezes.

I thought it's the Services, so I disabled all but 5 of them; no luck. I did manage to get it working once, but I really don't remember doing anything differently, other than having it Docked/Undocked (Undocking Suspends it; maybe that did something? I don't have the Dock anymore). I tried installing both WinXP Pro and WinXP Pro w/SP2. Always the same thing.

Any clues for how to proceed?

2. andyfico

andyfico TS Rookie

Hey Olego, did you ever figure out what is wrong with your computer because I am having the same problem. Thanks.

Andy

3. Olego

Olego TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey Andy,

It worked when I pressed F8 when booting Windows and selected "Use Last Known Configuration". Somehow, that let me log in - and I've been using the laptop for over 2 years now!

Hope it helps :),

~Olego~

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.