Windows XP hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFJ

This PC is a Philips IQon loaded with WINXP. It has a built in recovery which I've tried but it still won't allow XP to fully start up.
I get the Window XP/Home Edition logo and then I get the Windows is starting up...but the timer soon turns to a pointer and that's it. Nice windows logo but no further.

I've looked at the BIOS setting and its' first boot option is the floopy then HD and finally CDrom. I don't have the original XP disk.

What should I do next?

Hi dopefisher,
I've looked at that thread (Rick) for assistance but I don't have the WINXP cd. I think that this came with XP pre-loaded.
Even in safe mode the screen is blue and hangs.

The HD makes a grinding noise and I get the message..windows is starting up...but the log on 'as' feature/prompt does not appear.
The HD activity light goes out.

The manufaturers have a 'System Restore' functins and it appears to load all the XP files necessary for a good fix but still no joy after running this twice.

I've also tried the roll back to a time when it worked but this did not solve the problem.

Perhaps I have a bad HD or a virus?

grinding is an indication of a hard drive going bad. try running scandisk and look for bad sectors if you can get into it.

also, you could call your computer's manufacturer for a restore disk if your comp s in warranty. if it isnt they will charge you like 15-20 bucks. (whatever that is in pounds, sry)

Those Philips IQons are on a par with Packard Bell, built using yesterday's technology.

If the Restore does not work, go back to the shop and ask for the CDs.
If you got it from the ESB, you better hurry before they close them (shops sold to the Bank of Scotland).

I've never worked on a PC with a Restore partition or CDs, nor on one with XP for that matter, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Windows XP...hangs

Good News!

After several attempts at using the built in 'System Restore' I have the log-on feature. Now at the time I was trying boot from CDrom/USB/Floppy and not HD using the AVCD mentioned elsewhere in TS.
I couldn't get it to boot from any of the drives although when I enabled the floppy I could hear it seeking a disk.

I really don't know why it wouldn't work before. Unfortunately I now get a prompt when I log in 'Windows Product Activation' ...a problem has prevented Windows from accurately checking the status of the licence of this computer. To proceed your copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft. Do you want to activate Windows now?
But I must have an internet connection...I'm wondering if there is a virus and I go on line that it will bring me back to square one.

But at least now I can get into safe mode with command prompt...maybe I should now try a roll back?

P.S. It's not my PC...it belongs to a Dublin family living down here... the place is full of them you know :haha:

Regards

PFJ

Next Step: I brought the PC home and connected the modem to the phone line and started it up and when it got to the part mentioned above it connected Microsoft and iniated XP. Then I was able to see all users (5) and enter (without passwords) each users settings. I ran the build in error guard and there were 50 instances of potential problems. Ran this in each users setting and I downloaded and ran Ad-aware. I went into the IE cache and it was set a 1869Mb for each user. I deleted all user caches and ran an anti-virus check.

Switch thte PC on & off several times and searched for problems but it worked fine. The only thing I was unable to do was to boot to safe mode and search for problems. I got a message saying that the disply settings was not compatable...or something like that.

I told the owner to invest in AV software and a good firewall...and a decent net nanny would not go amiss either.

Thank's to those who replied to this thread.

Best Regards

PFJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back