TechSpot

Windows XP Home...Can't access secure websites

By fishgod
Jul 14, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi I'm Dan...Unfortunately not a rocket scientist, but somewhat literate w/ computers. I use my laptop for work...emails, viewing PDF drawings/specifications etc.

I have a problem...I have an HP Pentium laptop w/ XP Home Edition. I cannot access ANY secure website. I have checked/rechecked web browser settings & adjusted to MINIMUM security. It's driving me crazy because I can't do my online banking, view my minimal stock portfolio, setup Paypal etc. etc.
    Anyone care to share your thoughts???

Take Care
    Dan

2. pshaw

pshaw TS Rookie

I had difficulty with secure (https) websites. I found this post on another site. I didn't trust winsockxpfix so i just manually ran netsh int ip reset logfile.txt and rebooted. That did the trick.It is advisable to back up your registry first since that command changes registry entries.

The second post, I pasted at the bottom, Was also helpful for some people.

Good luck!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    FIXING THE TCP/IP STACK AND WINSOCK

TCP/IP stands for Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol and the TCP/IP Stack is the set of layers of communications protocol that connects computers on the internet. In Windows, this is controlled by a file called Winsock.dll. If you are having troubles relating to this type of problem, some of the symptoms you encounter may be that you can "ping" pages on the internet, but your browser always returns a "page cannot be displayed" error.

Sometimes this type of error develops as a result of running a program like LavaSoft's AdAware or SpyBot Search & Destory in order to get rid of "spyware" running behind the scenes on your computer. These programs may inadvertently destroy your internet connectivity by removing certain necessary Registry entries. You might also develop such a problem after removing network software incorrectly or uninstalling a firewall improperly, or even running a Registry cleaner a little too recklessly.

In previous versions of Windows, you can reinstall the TCP/IP protocol fairly easily, but in Windows XP the TCP/IP stack is a core component of the OS. However, you can "reset" the TCP/IP to the same state it was in as when you first installed Windows XP, as described in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;299357
    How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

What you basically have to do is to type at a Command Prompt a command like the following:

netsh int ip reset logfile.txt

When this command is executed, it rewrites pertinent registry keys that are used by the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) stack to achieve the same result as the removal and the reinstallation of the protocol. The registry keys affected are at the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\

There is a program available called WinsockXpFix.exe that does the above, and that also does some other things that are aimed at fixing Winsock in XP. It replaces Registry keys here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

It backs up a file called Hosts in the folder WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and then replaces it with a default new one. The Hosts is a plain text file linking web or network addresses with their IP addresses; this file may contain invalid entries due to modified web page addresses, and may become corrupted as the result of spyware, trojans, the use of file transmission networks such as KaZaa, etc.

After doing all this it reboots the computer.

The WinsockXpFix.exe program can be downloaded directly from the author, here:

http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/WinsockXPFix.exe
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Basically I found an article at Microsoft's site
    entitled "How to troubleshoot situations where you
    cannot complete MSN sign-up or connect to SSL secured
    (128-Bit) Web sites by using Internet Explorer in
    Windows XP" ... for some reason this forum is not
    letting me add a link to the article. Let me know if
    you can't find the article and need a link.

To make a very long story short ... all I had to do
    was re-register the following .dll files:

Softpub.dll
    Wintrust.dll
    Initpki.dll
    Dssenh.dll
    Rsaenh.dll
    Gpkcsp.dll
    Sccbase.dll
    Slbcsp.dll
    Cryptdlg.dll

To re-register these files, follow these steps:

-----------------------------------------------

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type one of the following
    commands, and then click OK (copy and paste is your
    best friend):

regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 initpki.dll
    regsvr32 dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 sccbase.dll
    regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

4. Click OK when you receive the message that says
    DllRegisterServer in FileName succeeded.

5. Repeat for each command line listed above

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.