Windows XP Home COA mismatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpak

Hey guys, I'm going for a fresh install of XP Home after changing my MOBO and CPU on my HP. I made a Win XP Home Install disc and am ready to do the fresh install. I have Office 2003 Pro, but lost the COA, so I downloaded a key finder (Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder 1.51) to get it. Well, I got the COA, but when I checked the COA for my OS, it shows it being different from the original. Anyone know what happened? The only thing I can think of is when I installed SP2 from disc, but I don't know.

Any insights?

hpak said:
Hey guys, I'm going for a fresh install of XP Home after changing my MOBO and CPU on my HP. I made a Win XP Home Install disc and am ready to do the fresh install. I have Office 2003 Pro, but lost the COA, so I downloaded a key finder (Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder 1.51) to get it. Well, I got the COA, but when I checked the COA for my OS, it shows it being different from the original. Anyone know what happened? The only thing I can think of is when I installed SP2 from disc, but I don't know.

Any insights?
how did you "make" this disc?
from thin air?
or from where?

I had Windows XP pre-loaded on the HDD. I used the I386 folder on the HDD to create a new installation disc using techniques found on the web.

In any case, I got Windows XP installed with the original COA, although I had to call Microsoft.

Still wondering what happened though. Kinda weird that the COA would change like that. In any case, I copied it and will try to use it to build another back-up PC.

Sometimes OEM companies use pre-activated keys to install Windows on the machines sold. They provide you with the serial you're entitled to (on the sticker on the side of the case) in case you would need to re-install, but that doesn't mean they've used that serial key to pre-install Windows on your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back