Windows XP Home Ed. - Java Virtual Machine

By guyferd
Aug 1, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I installed windows XP Home Ed. 2 days ago. When I use the Internet Explorer to browse website, there's a pop up box about Java Virtual Machine is required. In the pop up box, there's only 2 button - Download and Cancel.
    When I choose Download, it open a browser and link to www.microsoft.com. But in microsoft site, Microsoft doesn't support virtual machine anymore. So I go to www.sun.com and download Java Virtual Machine 1.40 ( I don't know - is there any difference between microsoft VM and Java VM? ).
    After Installing Java VM, everything goes right (the browser can open the page correctly), but it becomes very slow to load the web page. Does anyone know what's wrong? or maybe anyone have a link to download Microsoft VM? any help pls.. Thanks
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Funnily enough a workmate noticed this problem just earlier today.

Yes, there is a difference between Sun Java and MS Java VM.

I shall ask him if he found a solution. Basically looks like a booboo on MS's part.
  3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

4. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,327

Microsoft still offer the JavaVM, available at http://microsoft.com/java/
    That said the Sun one you've pointed out is far better than Microsoft's, which is rather out-dated. Stick with the Sun one.
  5. guyferd

guyferd Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 42

Microsoft VM.

Thanks anyone..

I try this link :
    I unistalled the Java VM and installed Microsoft VM from that site. Everything goes right, the performance of Mic. VM is much better than Java VM.
    I think the problem had been solved.. :D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.