Windows XP Home edition: - Need Help in reading a Memory Dump File.

By Martin1955
Jan 13, 2005
  1. Hi all can anyone help, recently I have experienced several crashes were the blue screen of death points to a hardware or software installation, I have install the Dumpchk.exe from the Windows disk and tried to ready these files but all I get is an error code.

I have used the Microsoft help site and followed the command line instructions but I must be doing it wrong?

I have solved the problem that was causing the crash but it took several attempts to solve (24 hours) there are some Mini-01.dump files created, without causing error messages or crashes and I would like to investigate these but I need someone to point me to an easer to understand plain English list of commands and the correct syntax.

Regards, Martin1955.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Commands and syntax?

The only tool there is for memory dump files is a hex editor. Or maybe a disassembler.

You have to be a very serious computer expert to make anything out of these dump files. For any normal human being they are absolutely useless.
  3. cpc2004

cpc2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,994

Install windbg and you can download it from mircosoft web site. The on-line help of windbg will guide you how to read dump.
    The most useful subcommand
    !analyze -v (analyse the dump)
    kb (stack trace)
    lm t n (load module map with timestamp)

Hope it can help you
  4. Martin1955

Martin1955 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the advice; I managed to load the file and your right made no sense to me.

Thanks for the reply; I'll download windbg and give it a whirl.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.