TechSpot

Windows XP home lagging

By Sean_I
Aug 20, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi the problem started about 4 or 5 days ago, i have reformatted my comp about a month ago and it was running fine until 4 or 5 days ago, ive scanned for virus and spyware, and with the exceptions of a couple cookies that i took care of nothing came up. whenever i run windows media player it will skip the songs or movies im trying to play, and ever once and a while my whole computer will lag, the mouse movements get very choppy and even the windows startup music is effected by this it will lag and cut in and out. if anyone can help me out or give me an idea why this would start all of a sudden everything and anything will be appreciated.

My laptops specs are as follows:
    Gateway MX7525
    Mobile AMD athlon 64
    4000+ processor
    2.59 GHz, 1 GB of RAM

EDIT: forgot to attach my hijackthis file

and its running:
    microsoft windows XP home edition version 2002 service pack 2.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. Sean_I

Sean_I Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

must have been editing while you were replying lol
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

There`s nothing nasty in your HJT log.

However, it appears you still have one or two bits of Symantec/Norton running.

See this post HERE and run the removal tool.

Then see this thread HERE for speeding up your system.

Regards Howard :)
  5. Sean_I

Sean_I Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

hrm i already used the removal tool ill try it again though and ill look through that other thread now thanks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.