Windows XP install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

staust8

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and saw everyone is really helpful over here. I am trying to reformat my computer because there was some sort of virus that got into my comp. It always says "NTLDR is missing, press CTRL ALT DEL to restart"... So I just decided to re-install XP to solve the problem. But it seems that the problem got worse. During setup , it always say "The file setup could not copy msi.dll " and all the .dll files as well.. What could be the problem on my formatting? Am I missing any steps? An advice would be really appreciated.

BTW, here's my PC specs:

Intel D101GGC - MOBO
P4 506 2.66 ghz - Processor
200 gb Maxtor Hard drive
2gb Corsair RAM
EVGA 6500 256 MB Video card
Windows XP home edition - OS

Thank you.

a lil bit, but I tried it with another XP cd and it is still doesn't copy the dll files... DO you think it's the CD?

this is the technical information on the error screen .. its always stuck at 11%when it is trying to copy driver.cab...

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

technical information:
Stop:0x00000050 (0xF000EF8C, 0X00000000,X 0X80818B20 X 0X00000000)

I really need your help guys..

Thanks!

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

AHA! There is a problem between your hard drive and your ram. Your virtual ram is corrupted. THERE is a possibility of your RAM failing.

Please run this test and repost the result.

www.memtest86.com

Thanks again ^^

How can I test my RAM if I can't even access Windows? When it is booting, it's saying " Invalid boot.ini" something about system32\hal.dll..... =( need your help guys....

Thanks!

gee... boot it off your boot disk to dos ^^

Read harder, please ^^

After the file is downloaded an extract must be done to uncompress the file(s). To extract right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract All" option. The extract option will let you choose where the files will be extracted to. To build a bootable floppy go the the folder where the files were extracted and click on the Install icon. The floppy disk will appear to be unformatted by Windows after the install is complete.

To build a boot-able CDROM use your CD burning software to create an image from the un-zipped ISO file.

Since Memtest86 is a standalone program it does not require any operating system support for execution. It can be used with any PC regardless of what operating system, if any, is installed. The test image may be loaded from a floppy disk or may be loaded via LILO on Linux systems. Any Unix, Windows or DOS system may be used to create a boot floppy or bootable CDROM.

It is best if you run it off DOS. [less error the memtest86 can generates and it can goes faster than any os.]

Ok... so I ran the memtest today... what results are you looking for? All I can say is that all tests (0-9) have errors. Here are the totals:
Cached: 2047M
Rsvdmem: 276M
MemMap: E820-STD
Cache: On
Ecc:Off
Test: STD
Pass:2
Errors: 1945553

Oh, and one more thing... I went to advanced options and it says chipset not supported... I don't know if that helps.. Let me know if you need anymore info on the test that I ran... Thanks!

Errors: 1945553
Well, your memory is obviously not working as intended.

It is either failing or is incompatible. You can try removing one module at a time (assuming you have more than one memory module) and re-run the test on each, single one. This will help you identify which module is broken. After you figure out which one it is, get it replaced. :)

Can you tell us when the problems occur?
Did you make any RAM replacement or changes?
Or you just decide to reformat and the problem appear?
As the other guys says, the problem is probably bad RAM module (with those huge amount of errors).

It all started when I renewed my Norton anti virus the other day... It asked me to disable spysweeper so I did. Almost halfway done with the download, my computer restarted automatically and it says NTLDR is missing on the boot... so I decided to just reformat the hard drive... but when it's copying the files already from my windows XP CD, it always get stuck in 11% (driver.cab), then after awhile it will give me an error saying "Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area".. And it also said something about the hardware or software not installed properly or something...
I'm hopeless now... what should I do?

RAM can't be incompatible since I built that comp on March this year and it didn't give me any problems..

huh... very strange. Is it possible that this restart is due from power over voltage? if its yes, then you can have a failed ram module or some mobo problem or even damaged hdd
but the main suspect is still the ram module

regards

Whenever the Memory Manager detects a page fault (that is, a failure to translate a kernel virtual address to a physical address) in one of its pre-assigned address ranges in which the memory is supposed to be non-pageable, it halts system execution with a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA bugcheck.

The only thing that can cause one of these page faults is an inadvertent reference by a kernel mode component to an invalid memory address that just happens to correspond to one of the Memory Manager’s pre-assigned non-pageable address ranges. The most common reason for this bugcheck is a driver de-referencing a bad pointer.
some long file names cause this problem also in win-2000 pro. norton is highly suspicious.

Once system problems happen with a Symantec program installed, all hell can break loose...
Reset your bios to default levels. Remove one memory module, and run with just 1. Remove anything you can, sound, NICs and modems too, then try the OS install

tmagi is right. norton spells problem. you can't get rid of it. it has a lot of overhead and slows your pc way down. it's a resource hog. and it modifies stuff that you can't imagine. such as bios and things. tmagi is correct.

now the thing is how can I reset my bios settings?? Everytime I press F8, it just asks me what boot drive do I want to use.. It doesn't let me go to bios settings... Im hopeless now... what part do I need to change so I can just move on with this problem... Processor? Mobo? Ram? anyone? =(

bios is before you start loading windows.. its the button you press during bootup when the screen says "Press ... to enter SETUP".. usualy by pressing the Delete key or F2 etc.

To reset your BIOS just follow these simple instructions:
Turn off your PC, unplug it from the mains power. Open the case up.
1: Look for a jumper pins named CMOS_RESET and if there's three of them in a row, just alternate them to the empty one for a few seconds then back again.

Or if you don't have that jumpers,
2: look for a round button battery on the motherboard, pull it out and wait for a minute or so before replacing it.

Then just plug in and turn on your PC again. BIOS will be reset to its default values..

XP Installation stalling at starting Windows

Has anyone ever installed Windows XP Pro on an old Biostar Mobo like a M7KVD? I heard it has to do with something with BIOS? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Btw, Hello everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back