Windows XP just for India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Microsoft has announced today that it will offer a new, low-cost version of Windows XP targetted just for India. 1 Billion people live in the nation, which obviously represents a big market that Microsoft would like to tap into. The "Windows XP Starter Edition" will be designed for the country's national language, Hindi, and will of course be quite a bit cheaper than the Windows XP we know (and love.) Pricing is apparently not yet available, since the software will only be available through desktop manufacturers and the price decided weeks before its launch early next year. If this XP version is a success in the Indian market, it will likely be expanded to cover the other 14 Indian languages.

Really, a fairly good move on Microsoft's part. This is an attempt by Microsoft to protect its market share from the open-source Linux system and software piracy. The take-up of Linux in markets like those in India is very worrying to Microsoft, because of the cheap price afforded by that OS. Therefore, Microsoft wants to offer a similar alternative. There has been a recent boom in computer sales in India, but this benefits Microsoft little because of the widespread problems of software piracy in that country. This move should help to deal with that, and help Microsoft conquer this market.

no change

As i am from india i can say this, this not going to improve anything in india,

the real situvation:

Problem 1:

windows Xp is available for approxmately Rs 50 to Rs. 100 ($1 = Rs. 45 approx) pirated version

any version.

Problem 2:

60 % of the PC in india are assembled(meaning not branded), these assemblers work in very thin margins say approx Rs 500 per PC hence they offer only pirated version infact they insists onit.

problem 3:

windows xp is not off the shelf(atlest where i am from) it took me two days to get my copy (windows xp OEM version)

if these problems are not found a fix then and only then will there be any chance any of these things to work. :rolleyes:

India has total of 800 + languages of this only 14 are official .

This is a nobbled version, but of course big hearted Micro$oft will be pleased to sell you an upgrade.

XP Pro *****
XP Media C ****
XP Home ***
XP India **

Next we need, XP for whiteboard enthusiasts. Basically it's just a sticker. But probably will be just as functional :)

Vigilante said:
XP Pro *****
XP Media C ****
XP Home ***
XP India **

Next we need, XP for whiteboard enthusiasts. Basically it's just a sticker. But probably will be just as functional :)

You've planted the seed. M$ may pour water on it (sic).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back