windows xp-lan problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys i have a porblem with xp.
I have an intel p3 system running both windows xp and windows 2000.i have no problem connecting to the net through my lan connection on windows 2000.But since i installed the service pack 2 on my xp the pc doesnt get connected to the net.Can any one help

SP2 probably botched up the SLIP configuration you set up to link to your Linux server connected to the ATM FDDI backbone you have in your basement :p

Or just maybe if my assumptions were wrong then you could tell us some more network specific details in addition to the processor type..

nodsu

Actually the system aint connecting to the internet.And whenever i try to configure the tcp/ip settings the system asks for a restart and after restarting the settings are reverted.ip address is 172.20.37.48
gateway 172.20.0.1.If u cud help me out just temme exactly wat details i need to furnish.And i use Windows xp not linux.

There is nothing wrong with 172.x.x.x. It is a legitimate LAN address and probably doesn't appear out of the blue.

What sort of an internet connection do you have? Where does it come from? Do you have any other computers conncted to your network? What kind of interface it is that gets the 172.x.x.x address?

no my pc is not connected to any other pcs.I connect thru ethernet card.
I get the internet connection from a local internet service provider called BEAM through cable.And i dont think theres any problem with the net.Coz it works fine on WINDOWS2000 and it worked fine on Xp until lately when it stoppped all of a sudden.Can it be a problem which comes with xp service pack2???.

No, SP2 does not break ethernet.

What do you have configured as your DNS server in XP?
What IP address/gateway/DNS do you have in Windows 2000?

SP2 installs Windows Firewall

This could have something to do with it. I don't use it myself as I have a preference for Zonealarm, but I am going to guess its buggering it up somehow.

Nodsu said:
No, SP2 does not break ethernet.

What do you have configured as your DNS server in XP?
What IP address/gateway/DNS do you have in Windows 2000?
no, but it did break a lot of network drivers, many NIC and WLAN cards needed to be updated with new drivers in order to function properly after sp2. There have also been a few cases where sp2's changes to WZC have caused problems with wireless networks that prompted router manufacturers to update firmware so WZC could see them again. Another thing, SP2 added a full feature Firewall which may be causing you some problems. The windows firewall is supposed to turn itself off when another is used, but its worth checking.

Make sure you have the latest versions of drivers and firmware for your cards and router, also might try simply uninstalling/reinstalling the current driver. Windows updates are well known for corrupting drivers and needing to reinstall them.

i have the same details both in xp and 2000 regarding the ipaddresses and dns and everything they are same.can this be a hardware conflict if so wat have i to do.I already changed the card several times.

not a problem of firewall

No i dont think thats a problem of firewall either i turned the firewall off and the other idea os uninstalling and reinstalling seems good with only a slight glitch whenever i try to do any kind of changes to the network components the system either asks for a restart or hangs.If i say yes to a restart there is no change watsoever.

can we quicken windows2000

Is there a way we can increase the netspeed in windows2000 without actually buying anything.The netspeed really hurts and xp isnt working anyhow.The help frm anysource is welcome.Dont tell me i need an upgrade of system or somthing like that i am running short of money fr it.

ldheeraj17 said:
No i dont think thats a problem of firewall either i turned the firewall off and the other idea os uninstalling and reinstalling seems good with only a slight glitch whenever i try to do any kind of changes to the network components the system either asks for a restart or hangs.If i say yes to a restart there is no change watsoever.

That hanging when you try to uninstall a network driver indicates a problem. I'd remove all network adapters from Safemode. might want to check that the card is seated properly while you are at it. Its not normal for it to hang like that.

i uninstalled it in safe mode and added it again but still the problem continues
The system hangs wen i try to do anything in networkin settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back