Windows XP LAN / WAN Router Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriste

Hello I am quite sure you all have read at least one forum with this kind of name but anyways.

I am running a home network, with Internet coming in by Satelite, which connects to a reciever on my roof that trails into the back of my computer, which then crosses over to a Linksys Wireless-G router. BTW I am Running Windows XP With Out SP2.

My Router sends its signal to a computer across my house to a wireless PCI card. Recently It has been able to aquire a signal but i can't access the internet. It connects with Gateway 192.168.x.x. I think it has something to do with access points, but i am not for sure. I have also Upgraded Firmware x2

Any help would be nice.

P.S. I am A Computer Tech, But i have no Network trainging or experience at all.......

The gateway address should be the address of your wireless router, which should be correct. By default, Linksys is 192.168.1.1.

If your network has worked prior and no one has changed any settings or equipment, its reasonable to assume your network is configured properly... which would rule that out as a possible issue.

If your computer shows a gateway, it probably shows an IP address too. If you use Start > Run > cmd.exe and type ipconfig /all , you should see your ip address and additional networking information. It would be great if you could copy and paste that info here. You can right click the Command window titlebar, go to Properties, then Options and enable 'QuickEdit mode' to allow copy and pasting.

It sounds like you can connect to your router (getting an IP address will tell us this), but your router cannot connect to your modem or your modem cannot connect the Internet.

To determine if your router can connect to your modem, enter your router web administration utility (Type in the IP address of your router into an Internet browser) and check what networking info it displays. It should list an external gateway, IP etc... that is not on your network (Not 192.168.xxx.xxx). If you see these numbers, this means your router and modem should both be working. This might be a sign of a computer or other oddball problem.

If it does not list external IPs (which is what I'm expecting), then your router or modem could be to blame. We can deduce what the problem is by elimination - connecting your computer directly to the modem is a good way to eliminate half of the equation.

If the connection doesn't work through your modem, then your modem may very well be the issue. It may also be that your modem requires PPPOE autentication (usually for DSL but may also apply to Satellite) or filters MAC addresses (You'll need to verify this with your ISP and register the MAC address of whatever computer you are testing the modem with over the phone with tech support). If you know that PPPOE and MAC filtering are not used, then you should call your ISP to verify this and ask what they DO use. If it is DHCP, it should be automatic. This means your computer should be able to get online when connected to the modem without any fuss and the problem lies on your ISPs side (Probably the modem or transeceiver equipment).

If the connection works with the modem, your router is possibly having a problem. We should plug directly into the router to eliminate the possibility of wireless being an issue. If it works plugged in with a cable, but not wirelessly, you may have a problem with your computer's wireless card, drivers or configuration (Eg. Has your WEP key been erased or changed? Is there another access point your computer is trying to connect to? Perhaps your neighbors wireless is interfering?). If it doesn't work the cable or wireless, but works when directly plugged into the modem, you should turn the router off and on. If it still doesn't work, you may want to 'hard reset' the router and reconfigure it for your Internet again.

Just some ideas.

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-7F-85-4E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::207:e9ff:fe7f:854e%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 12.160.140.10
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 14, 2006 3:09:01
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 15, 2006 3:09:01 P
M

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-01-64
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

My Gateway is setup the way my Network guy set it up.
My Gateway is assigned as 192.168.18.1.
I have enabled DHCP Servers with range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.50.
My DHCP and MAC Addy Clone are Both enabled, could that be a possible problem?
My Network Guys never set up a WEP...oh great

My other computer ( the one which i can't get internet on )
When i take all the custom setting off, Instead of aquiring an IP through my DHCP server, it goes to an automatic Private IP address. 169.254.xxx.xxx

Is There any Easy way to get my other computer ( the one without The Internet) To Get it to recognize the DHCP server ( my Router is acting as the DHCP server )

disable dhcp in router ,enable netbios, in nic's , if you need the 2 machines to talk to each other
do not set router static dhcp set dynamic

I assume the sat setup is a static ip address from provider
sometimes providers will do a system change ,you may get a simple e-mailer about this you may not
there modems dhcp server may be confusing the router dhcp server

hope that works
what is your router protocol for SAT ?

For starters are you using two lan cards in the computer. If your satilite is using one lan and the router is using the other. than you need to setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

you need to check your wireless security in the sec computer, to the security settings in the router and check to see if the allow mac address to use this router is checked. I have a wireless-G router. I use this setting and other settings to make sure noone else can use my internet. You have to go into the wireless tab in the router

I have enabled netbios on both computers

I'll disable DHCP when i get home this evening and I will set dynamic, and

I have forgotten what NIC's are so could ya fill me in again on those.

1 LAN card per computer,.

My computer guy knows less than I do: Nightly, and yes my ICS is active.
Wireless security is compuerely disabled atm. MAC addresses are enabled to be read and seen.

Thanks for the help so far Nightly, Samstoned, and Rick.!

NIC= network interface card
i'm going by what you have wrote. the satilite connects to the back of your computer? how usb, or Lan? or does it connect to the router first than to your computer.

I am running a home network, with Internet coming in by Satelite, which connects to a reciever on my roof that trails into the back of my computer, which then crosses over to a Linksys Wireless-G router. BTW I am Running Windows XP With Out SP2.
Ideally, this should read computers --> wireless router --> transciever. It should not be router --> computer --> tranciever . If the latter is how it is setup, then you definitely need to change things.

This is odd. I'm not sure I understand how this 'should' be your gateway? Your local gateway should be your router, which is 192.168.1.1. Your router then negotiates the IP for your external net gateway which is provided by your ISP... I'm pretty sure this will not be 192.168.18.1. And if this number ends up anywhere, it will be in your router setup, not your computer networking setup. Also, nowhere in your ipconfig /all does it mention 192.168.18.1. I'd ask about this number.

You should have ICS disabled. Do not enable ICS. ICS can create many problems with your network if both your router and ICS are attempting to be gateways. If ICS is enabled, I can tell you that ICS is not working because your PC will have the IP address 192.168.0.1 - and it apparently does not. So please make sure this is disabled. If the network guy saw it fit to use it, question it... Because there should be no reason to have this enabled. Your Internet should be routed by your router because your router is your local gateway, not your computer. :)

About your security.. MAC filtering via router (if your using it for security) is fairly easy to compromise, but offers enough peace of mind the average person shouldn't be concerned. WEP and WPA are very simple to setup though - I'd definitely recommend enabling these once you get things working again.

Ideally, your network should meet the following criteria:
  • Router assigns IP addresses automatically (DHCP enabled on router)
  • Router acts as gateway (Router negotiates connection to satellite transciever - DHCP to ISP [most likely - automatica], Static [ISP gives you IP/Subnet/Gateway/DNS info to fill into your router manually] or PPPOE [ISP gives you a username/password to fill into your router manually])
  • Both computers should be set to automatically obtain networking information via DHCP

If the above is met, your network should work fine as long as there are no software or hardware issues.

Internet

Configuration Type
Login Type: Static
IP Address: 192.168.18.23
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.18.1
DNS 1: 12.160.140.10
DNS 2: 12.160.140.11
DNS 3:
MTU: 1500

That looks completely wrong to me

Kriste said:
Internet

Configuration Type
Login Type: Static
IP Address: 192.168.18.23
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.18.1
DNS 1: 12.160.140.10
DNS 2: 12.160.140.11
DNS 3:
MTU: 1500

That looks completely wrong to me

192.168.18.23 is within the Class C 'private IP address' range. This seems wrong for your router.

I'm not that familiar with satellite Internet service, but this is not your public network IP (Internet [or WAN] address). With cable and DSL, your IP address will always be on a public network - not a private one. I would assume the same holds true for satellite as well.

You should call your satellite provider and ask them what your IP and other settings should be. Change it accordingly.

Your IP addresses for the computers will be in this private range (192.168.1.1 by default) and is given by your Linksys router. Your router gets a public IP, assigns your computers private IPs and routes traffic between them so your private network can access the Internet.

A router and hub are two different things. That's a bit like saying you bought a 'car truck'... It might conceptually look like an SUV, but there really isn't such a thing. :)

A router is like a miniature computer - it contains logic which routes network traffic across networks. Routers can usually act as a DHCP server, assigning IP address and other network configuration info automatically, as well as routing traffic and provide other services such as VPN, QoS, VOIP and so on..

A hub is a very dumb device. It basically connects cables together. Switches are also like hubs, but they contain simple logic to improve network traffic - but they do not offer routing capabilities.

If you have a router a connected to an additional hub or switch, there's is still no issue since they just act as an extension, increasing your network ports without any real configuration necessary. Just make sure you've got your hub/switch plugged into the router's standard networking ports, not the WAN port. These ports are usually labeled. The WAN port should go to your transceiver / modem.

Rick said:
192.168.18.23 is within the Class C 'private IP address' range. This seems wrong for your router.

I'm not that familiar with satellite Internet service, but this is not your public network IP (Internet [or WAN] address). With cable and DSL, your IP address will always be on a public network - not a private one. I would assume the same holds true for satellite as well.

You should call your satellite provider and ask them what your IP and other settings should be. Change it accordingly.
OK GUYS, get seated to read this one!

some (maybe all) satellite providers are using the non-routable class C address 192.168.0.x
for those in the know, this is contrary to everything you've ever been taught
and raises lots of questions.

If you think about it carefully, any local LAN can route to other systems on the
subnet. The only real impact is the inability to register a domain name and
run some web server on these addresses. As the users system is making all
the requests via the ISP gateway, routing from the WWW back to the user
is just like any other NAT mapping.

With a satellite based gateway, it will have (potentially) a large set of subscribers,
possiblly scattered world wide. By enabling this kind of NAT mapping, if the
need arises for more slots, they can move to a CLASS A address and still
provide services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back