Windows xp login problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just using my PC. It restarted by itself and went came back to the login screen. Anyway I don't have a password at login. However the login screen still appeared. The problem is that as soon as I hit enter to login it goes to Loading settings and immediately after that it logs out and goes back to the login screen. Only one user account is setup.

I tried restarting and choosing Last Known good configuration but I ended up with the same problem.

I also tried restarting in safe mode but the same problem occurred.

I also tried to login as Administrator to no avail.

Can someone please help me sort out this issue?

I also try this and it didnt work:

quoted from a page..

Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

thank you in advance

The problem is that as soon as I hit enter to login it goes to Loading settings and immediately after that it logs out and goes back to the login screen.

So you see your desktop for a second then it just jumps back to the login screen again? Can you get to the desktop with the admin account?

Yes i see the desktop just for an instant and then it gets back to the login screen. I am using the admin account because its the only one I have.

How about trying to give that account an actual password instead of not having it password protected? The admin account will allow you to set it. Long shot but what the heck.

I'm sorry, I must be missing something here. So your admin account has this issue? I'll assume you are on a different computer then. If you only have one account on a computer (admin) I'd suggest making a new user account. It's standard practice to leave the admin account alone typically. It's safer to use a user account for most tasks. If the same thing is happening in safe mode you have major problems. Nothing extra should be loading in that mode which is probably the cause. I suggest getting all your files off of it and doing a fresh clean install. Consider a user account as well. I hope that helps you!

Bad memory tops my suspect list. Memtest86 is a favorite here. It takes a bit of drilling to find the free download (http://www.memtest86.com/ ). If burning a CD is a bother, then if you have 2 or more memory modules, roll the mods among the slots or run with minimum memory trying to find a working configuration. Remember to observe anti-static measures.

You also cited a problem when running from the Win-XP CD. That tends to rule out malware or a corrupted Win-XP environment. However, something is causing the computer to logoff the user repeatedly (apparently). Flaky hardware can be anything: memory, keyboard, mobo, psu, etc. .

Check out the forum "Guides & Solved Issues".

I had the very same issue once and one of my fr'd as ked me to take the RAM out and clean it head. It was funny to hear but applying little nail polish remover or petrol at its head, he cleaned it up and then inserted to its actual place....BINGO!!! It worked fine....try this, If it works its fine, or else really sorry, may be a big problem has occured in the system and may need repair installation of XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back