TechSpot

Windows XP MCE 2005 freezes, usually after idle period

By hmiddlet
Feb 25, 2007
  1. My laptop with Windows XP Media Center 2005 keeps freezing for unknown reasons, usually after an idle period, but sometimes when playing a game or tv recording.

At first I thought it was due to overheating, because my laptop did have a problem with that. After I fixed that (used a can of compressed air and a cooling platform) it worked without freezing for a while but then had problems again.

No OS that I have tried has ever had near as much trouble with freezing as this one.

2. gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook TS Rookie Posts: 528

Go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer and look under the System area. Post any errors or warnings.

3. hmiddlet

hmiddlet TS Rookie Topic Starter

Error Message

The server {C7E39D60-7A9F-42BF-ABB1-03DC0FA4F493} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

4. gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook TS Rookie Posts: 528

Please post EventID and Source

5. hmiddlet

Event: 10010 (It was not called an Eve tID)
    Source: DCOM

This time I was playing a heavy multimedia game. Usually it freezes during an idle period.

6. hmiddlet

Today it froze while idle but it did not leave an error message.

7. hmiddlet

Do you have any ideas of what the problem is?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.