Windows XP Network Permissons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I am trying to set up a semi-secure network for a business. They have three computers. I have put them all in the same workgroup. Lets call it bob for now =). I have created identical user accounts on all three of the computers.

Lets say:
User1 (the boss)
User2 (second in command)
User3 (the grunt)

Now User1 does not want User2 or User3 accessing her computer (no problem). But User2 Needs User1 accessing her computer but NOT User3.

The problem:

So I shared User2's C: Drive and changed the permissions so only User1 can access it. User1 can not connect into User2 at all, says access denied. I am trying to avoid using the everyone option and then specifically denying User3 since that's not terribly secure if they ever add another pc to the network and there is sensitive material on the User2.

Hellllppp!!

Edit:
All PC's are on XP Professional SP3 =)

I have created identical user accounts on all three of the computers.

Lets say:
User1 (the boss)
User2 (second in command)
User3 (the grunt)

Now User1 does not want User2 or User3 accessing her computer (no problem). But User2 Needs User1 accessing her computer but NOT User3.
Well hopefully not "identical" User names (I suspect no)
Just give all users a unique password for their shared folders (and obviously password protect the User logon names as well)
Only give out the password to the ones that require access to that User's shared folder

All done :)

Hehe I meant I created user1 user2 and user3 on all three computers. I have tried all this and still no joy. I just shared the C drive. Selected Permissions and gave full control to user1 (on user2 computers) and still access denied.

Logon password?

Also just run Netsetup on the main computer, then create the network setup disk at the end, and then run that on the other two computers. That usually clears up everything

Oh and don't share C drive, just share one folder, or the beginning of a tree of folders. There no use having shared access to temporary Internet files, and Windows folders etc. (ie the entire of C )

I was just doing what my client wanted =P.

Anywho. I did a double reset on the password of User1 on both computers..Logged off and back on and now it works =P. So all is good. Thanks =)

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

Please advise the client that the entire Harddrive (well C: ) is shared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back