windows xp networking using cross-over cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

i had 2 pc both runinng winxp pro and a dial up connection. i tried to network both pc using a cross-over cable, it work for 2 weeks. after that it just stop working, both pc cant see or communicate each other. check the config and the cable, everything's fine accroding to all the tutorials and manuals i had read.

now, i tried to reinstall both pc and try to connect. still no success.

i really need some help from all of guys.

thanks a lot.

Possibilities...

Someones tripped over the cable and broken it.
The cable's not plugged in properly.
Windows/3rd party firewall blocks connection.
Network isn't set up quite as properly as you think.
The network card driver isn't working properly.
The Network card itself isn't working properly.
Software on your machine is preventing networking (An update to the AOL browser did this on one computer I had to fix)
Required protocols and services not installed on network connection after re-installation.
Mystery problem with Windows, even when freshly installed. (aka, This is wierd! It shouldn't be possible) - incredibly unlikely.

...You've not given enough information to be able to pinpoint/narrow down the problem. go to start -> run -> type cmd and hit enter. At the command prompt, type IPCONFIG /ALL and copy the results to a txt file. Repeat this for the other machine. Blank out the MAC addresses, and the ISP IP (Internet) if connected, and upload the files here.

tnx spyke
but right now im not in front of the computers where i can perform the task. so i'll just send you the result when i get there.

but before that i'll give you what i have done so far.

i already check the cable using a cable tester and its ok.
install the current drivers for the NIC cards.
and i manually configured the 2 computers.
-pc1 192.168.0.1
-pc2 192.168.0.2
192.168.0.1 as gateway

by this alone, both computers cant see each other.

FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back