Windows XP - No disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

theo.aku

Hello, will be extrememly grateful if someone can get to the bottom of this for me:

(Almost) every time Windows XP SP2 starts, I get an error box which says:

"Windows - No Disk

Please insert a disk into drive"

So I click cancel (a few times - the box reappears on the first cancel) and Windows seems to boot as normal.

It's not the most life threatening problem in the world but I am concerned it may be indicative of a more deep rooted problem. I think a registry setting has been tweaked somewhere along the line or a there is a problem with a hardware configuration... I have noticed that despite having USB2, the computer is not recognising USB2 when I insert a compatible device. I have tried reinstalling the Windows USB2 drivers but no luck.

If you think you might know the answer please let me know, any suggestions welcome no matter how dumb (oh... reinstalling XP is beyond dumb I'm afraid!)

Thanks for your time.....

go to bios make sure the boot and system disc is first boot
find the page for error stops and untick or disable (this is in your bios)
disable video shadowing
disable any type of caching except cpu or processor
your hard drive may have a cable connection problem ,power or the ide cable
if sata best go to motherboard website and find the right config to boot the sata channel
I don't think just running the install disc will fix anything
you could have corrupt MBR master boot record
do search here for this typ'o of fix

the drive may be going bad
download the lastest utilitys from the hard drive manufactorers

Thanks for replies everyone but still getting error box - BIOS all seems okay and the inserting the disk didn't help. Tried an sfc /scannow but can't find the XP disk I installed from and it's regecting the other copies I'm feeding it!

Would be very grateful for some more suggestions if people are still reading this thread.

Thanks everyone.

Samstoned said:
you could have corrupt MBR master boot record
do search here for this typ'o of fix

If you do have a corrupt mbr, go to bootdisk.com and download and create a Win98 Boot Disk. Boot to the Win98 Boot Disk, at the command prompt run fdisk /mbr, remove the disk, reboot.

An alternative is to run the fixmbr command from the WinXP Installation CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back