Windows XP not bootable after defrag. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

My Windows XP not able to boot up after I ran defrag. Here is the blue screen message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to make sure any hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000ED (0x867698D0, 0xC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

My computer is a Dell Dimension 8400 with Windows XP Home Edition (SP2), P4 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM, Maxtor 160GB SATA HDD and DVD drive.

I removed the unbootable Maxtor HDD and mounted a brand new WD 320GB SATA HDD with the same OS, and the PC was able to boot up and operate normally. I then mounted the unbootable Maxtor HDD side by side with the WD HDD, and the PC was able to boot but slower. I can see both HDD are listed on Computer Management, but I was not able to see the content of the Maxtor HDD. When I clicked on the drive letter on Windows Explorer, it shows me the following message:

E:\ is not accessible.
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

This same problem had happened once before, and the Maxtor HDD is working again after I reformatted it. But this time I have some important family videos and photos in it so I wish someone would give me some ideas on how to resurrect my data.

Please help. Thank you very much.

Atom

I tried chkdsk, which displayed the following messages:

File record segment 44 is unreadable.
File record segment 45 is unreadable.
File record segment 46 is unreadable.
File record segment 76 is unreadable.
File record segment 4476 is unreadable.
File record segment 4477 is unreadable.
File record segment 4478 is unreadable.
:

I then tried system repair but no luck. :(

Any suggestion? Thanks!

It sounds like either the data on your harddrive is corrupted, which means you will need to format it. Or your hard drive is physically damaged which means you'll probably have to replace it.

Regards,

Korrupt

I have two other PCs, which I often defrag them without any problem at all. It is this particular desktop that I had the same problem before (the HDD corrupted after completed defrag) but the HDD is working once again after I reformatted it. The HDD is a Maxtor 160GB 8MB SATA, which comes with my Dell Dimension 8400. Has anyone had this bad experience before?

My biggest challenge right now is to rescue the data. So shred some lights, please? Thanks!

try downloading a linux live cd like Knoppix to get your data off or install your hdd into another pc as slave to get the data off..

boot up with the winxp cd, try and perform a repair

since this happened before, check that its not causing this by a faulty controller, hdd, cable, lack of power or excess heat.

I already mentioned this in the very first post but may be it’s not clear, so here I go again.

The Maxtor SATA HDD (refer to as MAXTOR thereafter) is corrupted after I ran defrag. So I boot the desktop with a Windows XP Home SP2 CD tried the repair but with no luck.

I removed the unbootable/corrupted MAXTOR and replaced it with a brand new WD SATA HDD (refer to as WD thereafter). Then, I installed Windows XP Home SP2, firewall, antivirus, and some other applications on to the new WD and everything is working perfectly. So I concluded that the motherboard, controller, memory, etc are working correctly.

Next, I mounted the brand new WD in SATA slot 0 and the corrupted MAXTOR in SATA slot 1, and the PC was able to boot up successfully from the WD but slower than when the corrupted MAXTOR was removed. I opened up Computer Management and I was able to see the two drives, but I couldn’t access the MAXTOR.

My biggest challenge right now is how to rescue the data in MAXTOR. Please help. Thanks.

If the Maxtor has unreadable sectors, it's quite plausible the drive has failed or has hardware failures. When running your chkdsk, listen carefully to see if you can "hear" and hardware failures (drives will sometimes make a "clicking" or light screeching sound when accessing bad sectors).

Also, we need to find out how far the corruption on the MAXTOR truly is. If it's lost it's partition table, recovering data could be substantially more difficult. In Computer Management/Disk manager, does the MAXTOR show up with a drive letter? And what precisely does the disk manager display concerning this device?

Yes, the Maxtor is identified as E drive, but without the NTFS keyword. When I clicked on the E drive on Windows Explorer, it says:

E:\ is not accessible.
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Go to maxtor and download/run their Powermax utility (HDD Diagnostic app) to determine the extent of the fail. If its a software fault then you can try using a data recovery app to try and get it back, such as ones you find on the "ultimate Boot CD" (google it). If its hardware, or much more complex faults then there are some ungarunteed techniques that could work, or sending it to a shop for help.. I think Samstoned from this forum has such a service..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back