Windows XP not recognizing second GB of RAM (DDR setup)

By neogeek13
Dec 22, 2004
  1. Hi there - just built a new computer and installed 2 1GB sticks of Mushkin memory in banks 2 & 3. When I boot, it recognizes both gigs and notes DDR is enabled. But XP is only registering 1 gb...

If it helps, these are the technical details/models involved:

Mushkin Dual Pack 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200

Albatron "KX18D PROII" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU

AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 333MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor

Any ideas? Thanks!!
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Well, XP home can support 4 GB of RAM ( )

And if your BIOS recognises the 2 GB of RAM.... does it find all of it during the memory count? If you go into the BIOS, how much memory does it say you have?
  3. neogeek13

neogeek13 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I guess I should have clarified - yes, the BIOS setup recognizes it and, within the first 10 lines shown on bootup, it's also listed. It's just XP that doesn't register the second Gb.

It actually doesn't do a count that I can see - a friend (who I can't get hold of) has the same MB and CPU (diff memory) and says his goes so fast he doesn't even see the count - just the result so... ??
  4. neogeek13

Additional info

Sorry - I'm a newb - I have it set up (I think?) to use the MBs dual channel capabilities but I'm only seeing 1gb of my 2gbs in XP (while the bootup and BIOS infor shows 2 gb). Had DDR and dual-channel mixed up...

Another newb question:
    Is this 1gb? or 2GB? I'm thinking 1 and now wondering why my BIOS/boot screen says 2??
    Mushkin Dual Pack 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
  5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

I think you have many things confused. It seems you are using two modules of 512mb each totalling 1024mb or 1 GB. The only nForce2 board with 4 memory slots is one by Gigabyte & it isn't the one you're using.
  6. neogeek13

That's what I was starting to think per above - I was looking at Mushkin's site and reviewing their products and started putting two and two together.

A techy friend helped me put together my shopping list and I think I remember having a discussion about staying with 1 gb as my old system had.

Thanks for helping this newb... :blush:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.