Windows XP on Sony VAIO laptop won't run..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there. I have a 1 year old Sony VAIO laptop with Windows XP. It seems Windows will not load. I turn on the computer and then the screen freezes on me in the middle of loading. I restart and get this menu with safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, last working config. I can get into safe mode but nothing else works. I suspect what happened is either my dad or myself was using it and forgot to turn it off and left it on all night and that somehow caused this problem.

I asked someone for help and he suggested reinstall windows xp by booting to SONY XP cd recovery console and try a repair installation but I don't know if I have the necessary tools (or computer smarts for that matter). I don't have any SONY backup cds. I do have this cd called Windows XP Service Pack 2 but I'm told that I need a Windows XP setup cd?

I also have a lot of files on my hard drive (docs, mpegs, mp3s) and am afraid of losing it all but I have no way of backing them up now that even my cd burner doesn't seem to be working.

I'm a bit apprehensive at this point as to what to do as I'm a bit of a novice on computers. Do you think you can guide me through this? I appreciate any help.

WELL>>>

i personnaly run a sony vaio desktop pc and i think this might help

when you bought the computer did u make a recovery cd cause all vaio's have that option if you did i reccomend you do a system restore by pressing f2 or 12 i think it will recover your computer to an earlier date and then you insert the recovery disk and then you are all done--
-it sends you back to the day that you made the system disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back