TechSpot

Windows XP on Sony VAIO laptop won't run..

By mikec
Oct 19, 2005
  1. Hey there. I have a 1 year old Sony VAIO laptop with Windows XP. It seems Windows will not load. I turn on the computer and then the screen freezes on me in the middle of loading. I restart and get this menu with safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, last working config. I can get into safe mode but nothing else works. I suspect what happened is either my dad or myself was using it and forgot to turn it off and left it on all night and that somehow caused this problem.

I asked someone for help and he suggested reinstall windows xp by booting to SONY XP cd recovery console and try a repair installation but I don't know if I have the necessary tools (or computer smarts for that matter). I don't have any SONY backup cds. I do have this cd called Windows XP Service Pack 2 but I'm told that I need a Windows XP setup cd?

I also have a lot of files on my hard drive (docs, mpegs, mp3s) and am afraid of losing it all but I have no way of backing them up now that even my cd burner doesn't seem to be working.

I'm a bit apprehensive at this point as to what to do as I'm a bit of a novice on computers. Do you think you can guide me through this? I appreciate any help.

2. Sickem

Sickem TS Rookie Posts: 37

WELL>>>

i personnaly run a sony vaio desktop pc and i think this might help

when you bought the computer did u make a recovery cd cause all vaio's have that option if you did i reccomend you do a system restore by pressing f2 or 12 i think it will recover your computer to an earlier date and then you insert the recovery disk and then you are all done--
    -it sends you back to the day that you made the system disk

3. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

If you dont have the sony recovery disk then I would suggest making a BartPE disk to recover yur important data with before reinstalling windows.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.