Windows XP Pro 64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

irobot

Hello all,

I have windows xp pro 64bit and an AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+

and i wanted to downgrade to windows 32bit since most of my applications: firefox and steam/cs:s crash frequently.

i was wondering if changing to a 32bit OS would make my 64bit processor slower, not as responsive, or pretty much useless compared to a 64bit OS.

Other thoughts: it also seems that 64bit windows is just more of a hassle since you NEED 64bit drivers for everything and you have the x86 program files folder that you need to separate 64bit and 32bit programs.

any thoughts/solutions?

You will be still happy with the performance using win xp 32 bit. Very few people are using the 64 bit due to compatibility and most systems sold still are selling the 32 bit version.

thanks! i was worried because one of my friends said going to a 32bit OS makes my 64bit processor pretty much useless..

any other takers?

I'm using IE, Firefox on xp 64 bit. I dont crash or have crashing applications. You ever take into account that its not the fact that you're running a 64 bit OS?

but I have seen issues with steam and the 64bit version also.(have you redownloaded the game from steam or use your disks?) downloading from steam they have a 64bit version available. It will auto dl for you the 64 bit version if it sees you have a 64bit OS.

I loved the 64bit IE version ran very nice, as for the mozilla uninstall and reinstall.

recently my internet explorer crashes along with media player, divx, powertabs, guitar pro, my anti virus/spyware almost every application that i have has crashed or didnt even load. reinstalling doesnt work.

thank you for your replies.

im gonna go to 32bit, hopefully it will fix most of my problems =/

64-bit is still a mistake (for the most part). Little to gain and a lot of headaches with drivers and software etc...

I don't understand your Firefox and other apps are crashing though - sounds like another problem to me. Hmmm.

what other problems do you think it would be?! :(

could it be my RAM or my HDD not saving files correctly or something?

other than software, the next thing i would think of would be hardware..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back