TechSpot

Windows XP Pro - Black Flashing Screen

By Stratusxp
May 5, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know I had this problem awhile back when I last did a clean install of Windows XP.

Everything installs fine and once loaded to the desktop my screen begins to go black for a few seconds or less and then the desktop reappears. Nothing is changed and the pc isn't frozen, it just constantly goes black and then re-appears. Happens every few seconds. This is before I install the monitor or video drivers. Once they are installed it is the EXACT same issue. Nothing changes.

There is nothing wrong with the hardware. I use Vista on the same machine 100% flawlessly. I know there is a fix for this issue and I had to do it awhile back but I can not remember what it was for the like of me. Can anyone help? The Video Card is a Geforece FX 5900. Thanks in advance!
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

I thought it was the monitor refresh related

You could try another monitor to confirm it's not that
  3. Stratusxp

Stratusxp Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Nope. Is not a refresh rate issue. This was a known issue awhile back and I know it was all over forums on how to fix it but I can not remember where I found the fix last time.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.