TechSpot

Windows XP Pro doesn't boot on 1st boot attempt, but does on 2nd :S

By mattw
Jul 5, 2006
  1. Just a quick question, when I boot my computer sometimes it will loads windows 1st time, no hassle, but quite frequently it wont boot on the 1st go, but will when I press the restart button on my case. This has only started to happen since I installed my newest HDD the 200Gb seagate. Windows XP Pro is installed to the WD Raptor 74Gb and I had never had any problems with that.

My PC Specs are:
    AMD Athlon 64 4000+
    DFI Lanparty UT nF3 ULTRA
    1024Mb Crucial Ballistix PC3200
    74Gb WD Raptor HDD
    200Gb Seagate Barracuda HDD
    ATI Radeon X850XT-PE 256Mb
    Antec True Blue 480Watt PSU

Its not anything that bothers me to the point of insanity lol just wondered if there is anything that I could do to prevent it.

Thanks folks, any help appreciated

2. pcaceit

pcaceit TS Rookie Posts: 405

Failed boot

Hi, You should run a disk check on both Hard Drives. and if this does not cure the problem then check your boot order settings in bios setup. but it sounds like filesystem corruption thats causing this alternating fail/success on bootup.
    its not a good idea to keep using the reset button to to reboot! i can almost 100% guarantee that you will have HDD corruption if you use this method frequently. but if you have to then run a disk check each time you do it. if you know how to use the recovery console then use that to check the disks.

if you still have the problem get back to me and i will give you instructions on how to repair using the recovery console. hope this was helpful.

3. mattw

mattw TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 117

Hello, I used the disk check and it seems to have cured my problem... thanks a lot for the help, much appreciated :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.