windows xp pro help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satlover

Can someone help me please?
I tried everything i know about computers with no luck,my computer tells me ntdlr is missing.
i tried to repare it and write these files like ntdlr and ntdetect.com and nothing happened.keeps telling me the files not found. so i decided to reformat it and loose everything.but when i do reformat it, it finishes the reformat and then goes to xp instalation it finishes almost all the steps like collection information, dynamai update ect...then last step is finalizing instalation at 34% it stops meaning the desktop goes black. what should i do? Any ideas very appreciated.
Specifications
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
CPU: Intel® Celeron® Processor 1.70GHz (w/128KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB)
Chipset: Intel® 845GL chipset
Memory: 128MB DDR (PC2100)
Hard Drive: 40GB HDD
Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-ROM Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D (845GL shared)
Sound: AC '97 Audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Keyboard, Wheel Mouse, Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front, Audio-In & Out, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D
Thank you

Give us some background on what led up to this point. Did you have a working installation that you needed to repair? Did you add/change something that prompted all this?

More info needed.

yes it was working fine and one day all of a sudden nothing working,i have kids have access to it to i sdon't know if they downloaded a game or something but everyone say didn't do nothing too it, kids you know lol.any ideas

Hardware most likely culprit.

Hmm, there seems to be overlapping problems here. You never mention how, when or why you noticed that the particular system files were missing. Was a program deleted/uninstalled that brought this about? Had you of been using the PC before this happened or did it first start at bootup?

The files you mention, "ntdlr", etc, are Windows system files. You can't just save copies of them back to the computer because they must have the same security and attribute settings before Windows recognizes them. The only way to get Windows to restore them is to do a reinstall or Recovery. And you tried the former (format and reinstall). That brings us to problem #2... the freeze at 34%.

The early portion of a Windows installation is the "detect hardware" stage (iirc), and either it is finding defective hardware, incorrectly identifying your hardware and installing the wrong driver, or (worst case) the computer itself is bad.

Whenever things gets so bad that you need to reformat and reinstall clean, you should ALWAYS unplug EVERY unecessary device/card from your PC, install Windows, and then install the devices afterwards like you are adding them for the first time. This makes it MUCH easier to narrow down the offending hardware/software.

Unplug absolutely everything that isn't absolutely necessary to run Windows. That means a video card, CD-ROM and ONE hard drive (your C: drive). Then boot to your Windows CD and install Windows from scratch. Once you are up and running, reinstall your video card drivers and set up your Internet Connection so you can download any software or patches you may need (or just as a way of getting help). If Windows still won't install, one of those three devices is probably bad. Replace anything you can one device at a time till you figure out which is the offending device.

Once you're certain everything is running stable, THEN put back your hardware and reinstall your software ONE ITEM AT A TIME. Don't put back multiple items all at the same time so you can't figure out what's at fault.

I think you get the picture. Be methodical. Eliminate one thing at a time. Even if you never find the original cause, at least you should end up with a clean and stable running system.

Satlover may not be able to do all this Mugsy... He or she may not be quite technical enough. I have seen"ntdlr and ntdetect missing" caused by a failing hard drive. This failing drive can sometimes be cured by performing a low-level format or an "all 0's write"...

A failing hard dive is hardware isn't it?

Guessing.

Tmagic650 said:
Satlover may not be able to do all this Mugsy...
A leap of faith based upon the detail given in his original post, and stating: "I tried everything i know about computers", suggesting he has some skill. :)

If this is beyond him, he's sure to let us know. Unlike screwing around with dangerous software like "HijackThis", it's not something most novices are likely to attempt without knowing what they are doing (which is why I never suggest using Hijack until I know for sure.)

Detail please.

satlover said:
That's what i am getting:
stop:0x000000b4(0x80E5A338,0X80E8E30,0X80E59000,0X00050000
thank you
Thanks for trying to be brief, but that's too brief. :)

Am I to understand that this is occurring when you try to reformat your HDD and reinstall Windows?

If you can not even reformat, "Tmagic" is probably right and your drive is going bad.

40GB is painfully tiny by todays standards and it is likely more than a few years old. You are more than due for an upgrade, and a decent sized drive (over 200GB) can be had for under $100 now.

For what it is worth, the last time I had an installation fail several times at almost the same stage it turned out to be a bad memory module. Mark you, 128 Md of PC2100 is barely enough and will put more strain on the HD.
Hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back