Windows XP Pro Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help me as I'm completely freaking out at the moment.

I have two drives on my computer and after having a problems with my main C: drive windows XP Pro installation a few months ago, had to do a parallel install on my D: drive. I've been using this drive as my main drive ever since until I could get some important files out of a locked My Documents folder. After expert advice from members of this board I did get the files out.

I then wanted to reformat the C: drive and reinstall windows on that drive so that I could then move my data from D: to C: and reformat the D: drive to get things back to normal. Unfortunately my plans have hit a major snag.

I deleted the partition on the C: drive and did the full NTFS reformat and then followed the windows xp pro installation process. However, now that I'm at the product key stage, it won't accept my product key. I desperately need to get into my computer today so called my parents and brothers to get their product keys too. None seem to work at all. I keep getting an error message which says that "The product Id you entered is invalid". Why? Why won't my original product key work?

Please please help!

Thanks,

Ali

Because XP finds that that key is already in use on another partition. Disconnect the second drive temporarily, then install on C, that should do it.

I think that may be false information. I've done parallel installs of XP before.. With no problems.

The only times I've had problems with Windows CD keys are because of the following reasons:

1.) Scratched CD
2.) Bad hard drive

Problem solved!

Many thanks. I've solved the problem. Turns out I'm a complete ***** :) and was using my old win 2000 product key. I've now installed it and all is well.

Many thanks for all of you advice!

Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back