Windows XP Pro Services: A;erter Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes:
I cannot enable "Alerter" in Windows XP Services. I found that it was not working when I modified my page file size and received a warning that Alerter needed to be turned on.

Using the Managent Consol\Services I attempted to start Alerter but got the message that it could not be started because it was not using the same account name as other services in the same process.

All other services are logged on as "local system"

Do I need Alerter and if so how do I enable it?

well, certainly my alerter service on my windows xp machine here is running logged on a local system. what account is yours using?

To quote XP itself, the Alerter "Notifies selected users and computers of administrative alerts. If the service is stopped, programs that use administrative alerts will not receive them. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start."

On my system its set as manual startup and turned off. This seems to be the default. On your system it may be set to automatic so you could try setting it to manual and then trying again, making sure that the service is stopped.

certainly I modify the page file with the alerter service turned off, so my guess is that something has changed yours to automatic, so try changing it to manual and ensuring its off. maybe reboot for good measure.

the alerter service would seem to have some dependencies (i.e services that need to be running in order for it to run) but there would seem to be no services that depend on it, so I can't see any reason why the alerter could not be turned off. so set to manual, not automatic.

If it is already manual, post back.

That's funny because I've checked several machines where and all of them have the alerter service disabled by default. Maybe some of the techspot readers could check and post whether it is or not on their machines....

I don't believe I've ever changed mine

alerter.jpg

hmm... rusty's is automatic and sngx's is manual.... hmmm...

next time I install a workstation with windows xp clean install i will check.

It may depend on the way you install. I have always installed on a network, and XP will detect other machines (assuming they have NetBIOS enabled on that portion of the network) and perhaps assume you will be logging into a domain or a workgroup, and enable it. I know it sets a few services to automatic or manual depending on the configuration of the machine.

This may be irrevelant but since SoulHarvester mentioned it. My computer is the main computer in my house and my roommates is sharing my cable internet connection with it. But I did not have his computer connected to mine when I installed the OS. But we did run the ICS wizard in windows. (My os XP his 98se)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back