Windows XP Pro SP2 Hangs on Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

justmen

Hi Everyone,

I'm really in a Deep Problem here for the past 3 days or so. I have just finished assembling my new rig here but I've NO LUCK at all installing Windows XP Pro SP2 into my new rig.

Here are my rigs specs ;

Motherboard - Intel DG965RY
Memory - Kingston KVR800D2N5K2/2G (2Gb PC800)
Processor - Core 2 Duo E4400
Harddisk - Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB SATA 2 (Partitioned 20GB for OS)
DVD Writer - Pioneer 212BK SATA
Casing - Thermaltake Kandalf
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 650W

The Harddisk is in SATA Port 0 and DVD in SATA Port 1.

I've been trying to Install Windows XP Pro SP2 on this machine at least 10 times now with NO LUCK at all. It always stops at 35 minutes remaining in the Installing Devices.

I've also use the F6 function using Floppy and loaded the Intel ICH8R drivers through intel but with the same results.

I'm really beginning to get frustrated here after 36 hours of efforts. Please kindly someone help me out here.....

stops? any messages? any funny clicking noises? could be a bad install disc. get a mate to copy it whole to a temp location to check it is all readable.

gbhall said:
stops? any messages? any funny clicking noises? could be a bad install disc. get a mate to copy it whole to a temp location to check it is all readable.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply... I'm REALLY-REALLY DISTRESSED now... I can here some clicking noise from the Harddisk at the lights (HDD) stays ON with no changes.. I can also hear that the harddisc is trying to spin up and down...

you need to use the manufacturers test suite for the hard disk which is probably US. Since you have not got a working Windows, you will need a bootable CD with the test suite on it to run from.

gbhall said:
you need to use the manufacturers test suite for the hard disk which is probably US. Since you have not got a working Windows, you will need a bootable CD with the test suite on it to run from.
I already used the Seatools thats the supplied DOS software by the manufacturer to check the the HDD and No Problems occured and I was even able to Zero Write the whole disk...

I'm just LOST here... It just seems that Windows setup is LOOPING in the Installing Devices section...

Have you checked for the install CD being readable throughout as I said?

It may be it cannot be fully read in your DVD drive. Borrow an old CD reader and substitute for your DVD drive temporarily.

If the CD is OK, boot with it, then copy the whole CD to D:\winsetup and run the install from there if it copies ok.

If the install fails from a hard disk copy, disconnect the DVD and ALL other connected devices while the install takes place. When you get Windows up, all devices will automatically be installed at bootup when you connect them.

It is likely essential to have your motherboard drivers for SATA loaded very early in the setup.

Finally, and least likely, could be a faulty motherboard.

gbhall said:
Have you checked for the install CD being readable throughout as I said?

It may be it cannot be fully read in your DVD drive. Borrow an old CD reader and substitute for your DVD drive temporarily.

If the CD is OK, boot with it, then copy the whole CD to D:\winsetup and run the install from there if it copies ok.

If the install fails from a hard disk copy, disconnect the DVD and ALL other connected devices while the install takes place. When you get Windows up, all devices will automatically be installed at bootup when you connect them.

It is likely essential to have your motherboard drivers for SATA loaded very early in the setup.

Finally, and least likely, could be a faulty motherboard.
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been trying different configurations for this rig and I've even disconnected the SATA2 HDD and installed an IDE HDD. This time it worked but when the screen comes up with "Finishing Installation" the system just SHUTS DOWN with no reason at all.

After rebooting the PC I get the bios message of "System was shut down due to Thermal Issue" but I checked the temperature of the CPU and its NOT EVEN HOT only about 45 - 47 C'. This shuts down happened with the IDE HDD and when I changed back to SATA2 HDD the same hanging problems but NO SHUT DOWNS.

I'm just running out of ideas now....

Sounds a lot like a faulty motherboard temperature sensor to me. All I can suggest is create or borrow a linux or Dos bootable CD together with all the hardware tests you can manage that run under Linux or Dos for HDD, Ram and CPU. Then you can really stress the hardware and see what fails first. If you cannot forces a failure using non-windows OS then there must be something wrong with the installation files.

If you find you get thermal shutdown from the test setup, then the motherboard must be replaced under warranty. Dont waste any moew time trying to install Windows on a duff hardware setup !

gbhall said:
Sounds a lot like a faulty motherboard temperature sensor to me. All I can suggest is create or borrow a linux or Dos bootable CD together with all the hardware tests you can manage that run under Linux or Dos for HDD, Ram and CPU. Then you can really stress the hardware and see what fails first. If you cannot forces a failure using non-windows OS then there must be something wrong with the installation files.

If you find you get thermal shutdown from the test setup, then the motherboard must be replaced under warranty. Dont waste any moew time trying to install Windows on a duff hardware setup !
I agree with you Buddy... :)

I think there is an ICH8 Chipset Failure (the chip next to the Processor with a big heatsink) on the Board itself, because, it gets very hot at about 60 - 64 C' upon setup. I think that THIS chip is triggering the Overheat Shut Down.

This might be crazy but as windows setup comes to the Installing Devices portion I purposely touched the heatsink of that chip to see whether it was really hot and guess what ??? THE INSTALLATION WENT THROUGH !!!!!!! It got to the point where it says Completing Installation and just as it nears the END it hangs again...

Now I'm SURE that this is the ICH8 Chip problem on the MOBO because now I know that when this chip gets Overheated it just SHUTS DOWN operations of the File Transfers to the HDD and when you Touch it as some of the heat is dissipated to your fingers (please don't try this at home.. :) ) it will continue opeartions...

So Ithink that I will just return this mobo to the reseller and have it replaced.... :) :)

I'm just curious here, but has anyone else experience this ICH8 Chipset failures before ???

It is typical of a RAM failure if the install routine gets partway through before stopping. Because if this, any error message should be treated with suspicion!

AlbertLionheart said:
It is typical of a RAM failure if the install routine gets partway through before stopping. Because if this, any error message should be treated with suspicion!
Actually I did run the Memtest on both RAM modules for 6 hours without a single error message.

I have DDR2 800 (6400) 2GB (Dual Channel) installed.

I've noticed that AFTER windows installs the ICH8 Sata Device Drivers (either the Intel one under Native - AHCI or the Windows compatible one under Native - IDE) the HDD would go ERRATIC and starts spinning Up and Down (With Clicking Sounds) before the PC would either HANG or SHUTS DOWN.

I really think that its a defective ICH8 chip or maybe the MCH chip on the motherboard but not the Memory Module itself...

Yes I did install the SATA drivers using the F6 Function and Diskette. The SATA2 HDD is detected with no problems at all...

There's another growing concern here, The MCH Vcc (in BIOS) Registers a 1.257 V, isn't this the Memory Voltage ? My memory specs. (in memory box) says that its suppose to power up at 1.8 Volts !!!!

The PSU is Thermaltake Toughpower 650W inside the Thermaltake Kandalf Casing..

These are the memory specs. ;

- Clock Cycle Time (tCK) CL=5 - 2.5ns (min.) / 8ns (max.)
- Row Cycle Time (tRC) - 60ns (min.)
- Refresh to Active/Refresh Command Time (tRFC) - 105ns
- Row Active Time (tRAS) - 38ns (min.) / 70,000ns (max.)
- Single Powe Supply of - +1.8V (+/- .1V)
- Power - 1.972 W (operating per module)
- UL Rating - 94V - 0

Is it possible that the board is not able to power the memory enough cause the BIOS MCH Vcc = 1.2 V ?

But how can this be possible cause the MOBO (Intel DG965RYCK) specs says that it can support DDR2 800 with no problems....

Jeepers - more than enough! If you think the board's voltages are off the min spec then send it back - takes only one voltage controller to go bad and wreck it.
Have you tried resetting the BIOS and then setting to optimum settings?

AlbertLionheart said:
Jeepers - more than enough! If you think the board's voltages are off the min spec then send it back - takes only one voltage controller to go bad and wreck it.
Have you tried resetting the BIOS and then setting to optimum settings?
Yes, I've mentioned it before that I'll RMA it for a new one... Because I really think that the MOBO somehow-somewhere is NOT right...

But just for the sake of our knowledge it would be good if we understood what was the problem right... :)

justmen said:
I agree with you Buddy... :)

I think there is an ICH8 Chipset Failure (the chip next to the Processor with a big heatsink) on the Board itself, because, it gets very hot at about 60 - 64 C' upon setup. I think that THIS chip is triggering the Overheat Shut Down.

well, the ICH8 chip being the I/O controller, what more evidence can you have??

i think there is a issue with the hd u r using because u seems to be getting through the install smooth until the harddisk needs to really work and then u get ur bsod. Get them replaced try a new hd see what happens.

porsche911r said:
i think there is a issue with the hd u r using because u seems to be getting through the install smooth until the harddisk needs to really work and then u get ur bsod. Get them replaced try a new hd see what happens.
Anyway, I already RMA the whole unit for checkup to the store where I bought the components... I don't think that it's the HDD tho... It could be either the ICH8 chip or the MCH (Memory Bus) chip that's faulty because at heavy Memory usage (Not the Heavy HDD usage cause in Device Intallation there's more memory process than HDD process) there seems to be some kind of Page Fault Error occuring... Anyway we will get the results in a few days from those people... :)

This could be a GOOD lesson for all of us.... :)

With the exception that I paid about US$1'300 for the whole thing that didn't work as it should... :)

justmen said:
With the exception that I paid about US$1'300 for the whole thing that didn't work as it should... :)

I just hope the guys in the store are as helpful as you would wish them to be......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back