TechSpot

Windows XP Pro Starts up after shutdown.

By mturbo23
Dec 5, 2005
  1. After recently building a new pc it now has several problems:

1.About 5 seconds after shutdown it has started to reboot itself

2. On shutdown i get an error explorer.exe End now and then it shuts down as normal.

I have disabled any wake on LAN setting as i thought this could be the problem but it did not work.

Computer Spec:
    Windows XP Pro
    1 x AMD (venice) Athlon 64 3000 + (ADA3000DAA4BP) OEM 512Kb Cache Skt 939pin
    1 x MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SKT939 nForce4 Onboard Sound/LAN DDR - Retail Box
    1 x Corsair (TWINX1024-3200C2PT) 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair), DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, Unbuffered, CL2, Lifetime Warranty, Silver Heat Spreader
    1 x LG GSA-4167BAL 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal IDE (Black) - OEM 97237
    1 x Sapphire X800GT 128mb 256 bit PCI-Express VGA + TV out + DVI 94941
    1 x Win Nova T Pci card
    Akasa Paxpower 400W ATX2.0

2. Aezel

Aezel TS Rookie

Hi,

I checked your mobo specs and I saw that it has a Marvell Gigabit ethernet controller.
    I have that too on my Asus P5AD2 Premium and I had the same problem. I solved it by disabling the Wake Up capabilities for the ethernet controller in Device Manager. Have u checked that? If not, here's the way:

Device Manager --> Network Adapters --> Marvell Gigabit --> Properties --> Advanced --> Wake Up capabilities.
    If it's set to Magic Packet and Pattern Match, set it to none.
    If u already checked that; i have no idea :p.

3. mturbo23

mturbo23 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 77

Thanks it seems to have solved the problem. All I need to do is to stop the error with explorer.exe

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.