TechSpot

Windows XP Pro will NOT boot unless printer is connected

By Wittyservant525
Sep 11, 2006
  1. I am looking for a way to fix my problem. I have 2 computers and want to connect both computers to 1 printer. One computer has Windows XP Pro and the other one has Windows XP Home. The XP Home computer will boot up regardless whether a usb printer cable is connected or not to the computer. My XP Pro computer will NOT boot unless the usb cable is connected to the printer. Is this a BIOS issue or something in Windows I need to change?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

"Will not boot" means what? Doesn't power on? Fails to complete POST? Fails to boot an operating system? Windows boot process hangs?

3. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 1,060

I think this could perhaps be because the pc acts as a print server. I have no experience with them or anything, but might be worth looking into.

Regards,

Korrupt

4. Wittyservant525

Wittyservant525 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Will not boot

I guess I should have clarified about will not boot up...it starts out fine, but then it stops when it starts booting into Windows.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.