Windows Xp pro won't load with PCI card in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my D-link dwl-g520 wireless pci adapter card... I'm using a Abit AW8 mother board as well.

To start with, after installing the card, I was able to start up fine, but then when I tried to install the drivers off the original CD the computer would just freeze shortly after starting to install the drivers, and upon restart the card wouldn't function and device manager said something about drivers being corrupt/not working (I've used this card before and installed from the CD on a previous computer that was using windows XP home). From there, I tried taking out the card and then reinstalling the CD contents then turning the computer off and putting in the card.

After doing that, windows would start loading but would then just freeze half way through. I can boot it up in safe mode with the card in, or in normal mode if I take the card out (but can't boot in safe mode with networking). I've tried switching the card between the two PCI slots, but with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?

Remove the card and uninstall the drivers.

Now, remember this: do not use the CD-supplied drivers for any hardware. Download the latest drivers from the internet (www.dlink.com in this case)

Report how it goes with the latest drivers..

OK. Try the card in another PCI slot. The first and the last PCI slots are usually sharing resources with AGP and ISA, so try not to plug stuff in these.

In BIOS, you can try playing around with some PnP options like "plug and play OS" and "advanced APIC". Also in BIOS, disable all the peripherals you don't use like serial and parallel ports, VGA IRQ, infrared and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back