Windows Xp Problem

By bishop0769
Dec 17, 2003
  1. Ok so here is my problem, over 50% of the time when i boot up the dos screens come up just fine but then at the point where windows would usually start up the screen goes black and stays there then i have to restart manually and the computer says there was a problem last time i so do i want to start up in safe mode. safe mode works fine. also when i am in windows (normal or safe mode) and try to shut down or restart the screen says windows is shutting down like normal but it never does so i have to shut down manually. when i am in windows everything works fine as far as i can tell.

i have tried reinstalling windows, changing from acpi to standard computer, installing windows on a different drive w/ different ide cable, new power supply, and basically every option in my bios. my computer is some what old but this is a new problem that came from no where i thought reinstalling would fix it for sure.

1.8 ghz proccessor
    768 rambus
    asus p4t
    raid: promise sx 4000
    (3) wd jb1200
    (1) seagate barracuda 80gb (not on raid)

windows xp professional sp1

anyone have any other ideas on what the problem could be
  2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

Any messages in the sys event viewer ?
  3. bishop0769

bishop0769 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sys Log

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

but this was while i was in safe mode
  4. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

fips? I don't recognize this item
    However you definitly have faulty drver or hardware , or related software.
    You should identify what the item is, check for updates or delete and reload can often help if you have the latest versions.
    Also I have seen this alot when people load software etc. without shutting down running apps eg. Anti virus
  5. bluescreenNoob

bluescreenNoob TS Rookie Posts: 38

Do you have any usb devices plugged in?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.