Windows XP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

Sorry about the vague title but I am running out of ideas to fix problems with a computer. The pc in question is a shuttle xpc that originally had a less that legal copy of Windows XP pro on it. I was asked to provide a legal copy of windows XP and reload all of the software, which I have done numerous times.
The shuttle had a new mobo installed about 12 months ago.
Originally I installed XP and was experiencing all sorts of minor niggles with it, so I ran some diagnostics which revealed some faulty memory which I replaced with some good memory (Crucial)
I have reloaded Xp about a week ago but was having lots of minor problems with it, update not working, IE7 crashing etc. I ran checks on the memory and hard drive but again both came up OK.
I have just repartitioned and formatted the hard drive and reloaded XP yet again, which loaded without a problem, and am back where I started.
I went to install AVG but it told me the downloaded file was corrupt, I tried to install it from my memory stick but again the same problem.
This time the updates downloaded and installed OK but whenever I open IE7 it throws up an error message saying it needs to close, problem with mshtml.dll.
I tried to open My Computer and it says there is a problem with explorer and needs to close.
The problem suggests to me a data corruption issue but checks on the obvious culprits (memory and hard drive) don't suggest a problem, whether its another motherboard problem I don't know. I did wonder if it could be a faulty CD but as its a new one it should be Ok.

Apologies for the ramblings but I am tearing out what little hair I have left, has anyone any suggestions as to what the heck is going on here?

Well you'll think it's strange, but I say power supply, is causing corruptions.

Just on all the things you said, through experience only, I say PSU

Corrupt files files come from
1- bad memory OR
2- a bad HD

get a vendor HD test program and run everything provided

I did wonder whether some of the problem with the rebooting that had been experienced may be psu related as I seem to have checked everything else out but hadn't changed it cos its a tiny little thing that I don't keep here but I could try a normal psu rigged up temporarily.
The checks I carried out on the hard drive were using Seagates own diagnostics which came out clear, memory was tested with my memscope software which has always been reliable in the past.

Well I tried a new PSU, reloaded windows but had to leave it loading while I went out, when I came home I was met with a blue screen with Bad Pool Header error. I believe this can be due to driver issues but the only drivers installed were those off the windows disc so one has to assume they are all XP approved by microsoft.

Windows XP have an excellent troubleshooter. You can look for Errors in The Event Viewer that correspond to the individual problems. The Event Viewer holds the logs for everything that happens in the system. some Events are just Information about what took place, some are Warnings that either resolve or go on to become the third typoe of Event, Errors::

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

Or you can use these sites:
http://www.eventid.net/search.asp
http://www.monitorware.com/en/events/

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

If you want to paste here, please follow the copy instruction. This gives three pieces of information that are needed- the Source of the Error, the Event ID# and the Describtion..

The event viewer refers to stop error causing the crashing. The last two crashes, one was BSOD stop error 0x0000008E and the other was a Bad_Pool_Header. When the system reboots the error message to Microsoft box gives feedback suggesting a driver problem, although all the drivers installed are from the XP disc itself so one would assume are windows compatible.
I will check to see if there are any updated drivers on the manufacturers website and try them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back