Windows XP Probs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping somebody can help me here. Two Windows XP problems.

First problem: I'd like to reinstall Windows XP but my CD drive is on the blink. I've managed to copy my reinstall disk (Dell) to my hard drive through a network. Is there someway I can reinstall (repair) using my hard drive rather than the CD??

Second problem: I've got a phantom program that shows up when I close Windows. I get a "close program" window showing a program named "Sample". I don't know what this is. I searched the registry and my hard drive - no such program or file exists. I logged my shutdown and the problem occurs when I think Windows is trying to do an auto-update - something like WUAutoUpdateAtShutdown. To make things worse, it now shows up twice - whatever I did to get it there once, I must have duplicated (I went to the Windows update site and pushed a button saying I wanted auto updates turned on - maybe that has something to do with it...). Can anyone help?

Tom

Welcome to TechSpot Forums

A solution to the first problem: Get a bootdisk (if the computer has a floppy drive) and boot to DOS, then go to the directory you copied XP files (for example, d:\i386), start winnt.exe. If the partition is NTFS you'll need a boot floppy with NTFS support.

Ditto to the first problem.

Although, if you really want to fix both problems with a single stone (depends on how you look at it) :D Go to getto-mart and pick up a $16.00 (+/- a penny or two) CD drive and plug the sucker in. Create a floppy boot disk with the parameters to the cd drive, fdisk the hard drive, recreate a clean partition, format it and reinstall the OS. Couple hours tops. :) Best cleanup there is.

Hangman is right pop in new CD drve , But don't bother with floppy creation etc .Just re-install with your Dell Cd it can perform all of the disk preparation for you.

WU AutoUpdate is M$'s automatic updater in the background. It may indeed have duplicated itself.
As you are reinstalling, don't worry about it.

And by the way, Welcome to TechSpot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back