Windows XP professional problem! I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I just bought a new computer without windows XP casue my uncle has a disk that I used all the time for my old computer. Its a Microsoft license disk with Windows Xp Professional with service pack 1. Was made october 2002.

Here are my computer Specs.

CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ Socket AM2
Memory 1024 MB DDR II 667 Memory 240 Pin (Kingston) (1024 x 1) (on sale)
Mother Board ASUS M2N4-SLI Mother Board
Hard Drive 1 Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA II
Optical Drive 1 LG 18X DVD RW +- Dual Layer
Video nVidia eVGA 7600 GT KO PCI-E 256MB TV-Out DVI
Audio Onboard Audio
Network Card Onboard Network Card
Case E-18H ATX Deluxe Case
Power Supply 550 Watt Optimax Dual Fan Power Supply

Anyway I get my new computer the other day and put windows XP in and go through all the motions...and then it says it is going to reboot in 10 seconds or whatever. So it does that but when it reboots up when it goes to the Windows XP professinal loading page it just keeps loading for ever....like it does not stop ive let it sit for 45 miniutes and it just keeps loading trying to go to desktop.....but it cant.

I was told that this was becasue I did not have windows XP Service pack 2 and then a few other people told me NO its becasue you do not have a 64 bit operating system.

So what I would like to know is if there is anyway around this? like buying a copy of windows is basically out of the question casue I spent all my money on the computer. Is there anything else I could possibly do?

Or was is told wrong information and if I was could someone please clear this up?

Please help I have had this computers for 3 days and I cant use it...

Thanks.

Hi there a couple questions for you.

Are you using a USB mouse or keyboard? If so could you try the PS/2 port instead? Or try disconnecting them and see if the error still occurs.

Also, does it stop at the same spot everytime? If so is there a timer that displays a specific time?
Is it about 34 minutes?

My suggestion is to follow the advice of slip streaming a new cd and trying the installation from there. I've come across a couple suggestions saying it has to do with the USB.

yea im using a usb mouce and keyboard....and it never stops, ive left it loading for over an hour and it just keeps loading....(like that little bar just keeps cycling under windos XP proffesional logo)

I dont know what you mean buy slip streaming a new cd and trying the install could you explain?

and thanks for help so far! ima try the USB.

So basically your Installation cd comes with WINDOWS XP SP1. Slipstreaming is building an installation CD with windows updates. Its possible to slipstream a more updated Windows so when you install it, it has fixed the flaw you're coming across.

Here is a link that explains the slipstreaming process. You'll need to be logged on a computer with burning capabilities to do this procedure.

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

Ok thanks a bunch ima try it....but when I do it will it mess up the original windows XP? or alter it in anyway?

You'll just have to go through the Windows Installation process again. Remember to do a full format when you go through the process. Using the 32-bit version of windows with a 64 bit processor shouldn't be the issue. It's recommended to run the 64-bit though for better speeds. If none of this works I'd recommend testing all of the hardware. Swap out the ram/videocard if possible etc etc. It's either your hardware is faulty, or some kind of compatibility issue with the XP CD and your PC.

Gosugod said:
Using the 32-bit version of windows with a 64 bit processor shouldn't be the issue. It's recommended to run the 64-bit though for better speeds.

Some people would not recommend 64bit Windows on the grounds that it has turned out MS are not interested in supporting it, their version is buggy, you cannot get 64-bit drivers for far too much hardware, there is next-to-no software that can take advantage of it, some 32-bit software is slower on a 64-bit system than it is on a 32-bit....and so on.

In my opinion, 64-bit is a red-herring that should never have seen the light of day. It is for big-iron computers and specially-deisgned scientific computers.

Of far more importance to the general PC market would be a multi-threading system able to take full advantange of the newer multi-core processors. Turns out this is also a dead-end, as for general use it is just TOO HARD to produce such an operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back