Windows XP Professional x64 - is it worth installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

detrunks

I've just bought a new PC with AMD64 and was wondering whether I should use X64 rather than XP. I did a search of the forum and came across threads that advised AGAINST it, but they were dated mid-2005. Has the situation changed?
Can anyone who actually uses this OS point-out benefits or pitfalls? Do 32-bit programs run quicker/slower/the same? Can I post more questions when I think of them :suspiciou !

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I work in a Repair/OEM shop and we have built several x64 systems for Customer's. I cannot justify the added expense at this time as these systems have had problems with compatible software and drivers with no significant increase in speed or reliability. I, personally, believe you are better off sticking with XP Pro.

32 bit programs can sometimes run slower - the occasional 32 bit program doesn't work.

the main problem is device drivers - if there's a 64 version of the drivers for all the important bits of your hardware, there's no reason not to install it

Problem 1: No device drivers ... or having lots of bugs.

Problem 2: Staring at messages that state your software cannot run.

So far I've had one application that refused to launch. I found an alternative utility for that, so it wasn't a problem.

Only one of my hardware devices (that I frequently use) doesn't work - Logitech Quickcam Express.

To be more precise, I'm using Windows Server 2003 x64, not XP. But a lot of it is the same.

Thanks for all the responses. :grinthumb
When people say programs run slower, do they mean, for example, a slower FPS rate on games?

Windows x64. Worth it?

It is hard to say. I built a dual core AMD 3800 with SATA Raid PCIe etc. This is a second computer for me so it was not imperative that it be fully functional and at the time x64 was about $10 cheaper than XP Pro so I decided to try it out.

The system
AMD64 3800x2
2 Gigs Kingston RAM
ASUS A8N-E
nVidia 6800 GT PCIe
2 Hitachi 80gig SATAII mirrored

This system is pretty fast. I also have a XP3200 system with XP Pro.
I downloaded all the ASUS and nVidia 64bit drivers I could find. I burned them to a disc and installed to the new toy. Really no problems loading and setting up.
Is it faster than if I had 32bit windows? I don't know.
So far it has been stable, no BSODs or lock ups. There is a 64bit version of explorer and I installed the Firefox 64bit browser too. Not all web pages work properly using the 64bit browsers. ( I have both browsers in 32bit as well) I've attempted to run web based scanners, anti virus or spyware for example, without any success in 64bit. Both 64bit browsers ask to install Flashplayer 8. I download and install but the plugin never installs. All in all minor issues that have only required opening a different browser if necessary.
Driver and software issues. I use a HP Laserjet 6L and a HP deskjet 5550. There are no 64bit drivers available from HP. I networked my computers and, to my surprise, the Laserjet is recognized and I've printed from the 64bit system to the printer successfully over the network. I haven't gotten the 5550 to work but I think the 900c drivers might work.
I'm using Avast anti virus. Works flawlessly.
No CD or DVD burners or software yet.
M$ Office 2000 - no problems
Dreamweaver MX - no problems
MOHHA - Spearhead, Breakthrough - no problems
Adobe photoshop 6.1 - no problems - very fast!
Adaware, SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster, - no problems

Only have had this about a month so haven't done a lot with it. Will post things I learn or can't figure out.
Hope this general info helps
Monton

detrunks said:
Thanks for all the responses. :grinthumb
When people say programs run slower, do they mean, for example, a slower FPS rate on games?
Yes, but just barely. They are talking about just a few fps when you are running the 32bit version of the game on the 64bit OS as compared to running the 32bit version of the game on the 32bit OS. Unless you are running the games already at the very limit of slowness you can stand, you probably aren't going to notice it.

Like said above, check for avaiability of drivers for your hardware, and then if its looking good, go ahead and use it. Most new hardware should have 64 bit drivers.

x64

OK.....I guess what I'm going to do is give x64 a try (partly because my bro' has a spare key ).
The system is:
Asus A8N-E
AMD64 3200+ (venice)
nVidia 6600 (PCIe)
Maxtor SATA 80GB
1024MB Corsair PC3200

If anyone can foresee any problems with the system and X64 O/S, pls let me know!!

Also, if anyone has overclocked the CPU under X64 please can you confirm what software bits (such as Prime'95, CPU-Z) you used.

You've all been very helpful :)

detrunks said:
Also, if anyone has overclocked the CPU under X64 please can you confirm what software bits (such as Prime'95, CPU-Z) you used.
None, I use BIOS.

Sometimes I use CPU-Z to check if Cool'n'Quiet works, or which at speed memory is working, but that's about it.

OC'd Windows x64

I haven't tinkered with this system a lot with the holidays and all, but....

I did use the utility included with the ASUS A8N-e, AIboost. There are 3 pre-sets, 103%, 105%, and 110%. I've used all without any problems. I have also manually, without the pre-sets above, increased the FSB to 223 without a hiccup. 224 locks the system. Again, that is the only change I made. No voltage adjustments or anything else. As my schedule slows I hope to spend more time tinkering and will post as I go if it helps.

A8N-E
AMD 64 3800x2
2048 Ram
2 Hitachi 80gig SATAII striped
nVidia 6800 GT
Windows Pro x64

Monton

update

Just a quick update for those who come across this thread. I did install X64 and the only problems I've had is that not all games I've wanted to play have worked or they have been very buggy (despite them being listed as 'working' on other sites). Anticipated hardware problems have not materialised! I also got alot of help from PlanetAMD64.

If I had to make the choice again I would use my FREE version of X64 against paying for XP. If I had to pay for both, I'd go with XP.

Cheers to everyone who helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back