Windows XP Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HP Pavilion zt3000 laptop. It is 4 years old now. It operates on Windows XP Professional SP2. Everything was working fine until two months ago. Randomly, while I was working, a blue screen appeared saying Beginning Physical Memory Dump. Afterwars, windows will restart and after the desktop is loaded, a message will appear stating that windows has recovered from a serious error. This has been happening on and off for the past two months, Ive tried a couple of solutions but to no avail. These error codes were stated in the report.

BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : FF111072 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 804D9B64 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

If anyone could help me, then I would greatly appreciate it.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

In other words, something is trying to access an IRQL that it has no right to and thus you are getting crashes. We don't have enough information at this point so try the following:

1. Go to HP's website, find you model and update all the drivers for your system.

2. Run ChkDsk (exactly as spelled) in your Run box.

3. Do a full harddrive diagnostics.

4. Run MemTest on your RAM for a minimum of 7 passes.

I updated all my drivers and I ran a ChkDsk, but I dont know how to run a full harddrive diagnostics test. Also, what is MemTest?

Your harddrive manufacturer will provide a free utility that is designed to test your harddrive. You need to find out from HP who the manufacturer of your harddrive is. Go to your harddrive manufacturer's website and either download and run or sometimes you can run it from their site as long as you remain connected to the internet. This is an excellent tool to have and I periodically will run scans for maintenance. Do a full diagnostics. This takes time.

MemTest is another free utility that you can find at www.memtest.org and it is designed to test your RAM. Since you have a laptop you will need to burn a CD.

In order to run this your CD/DVD drive must be first bootable in your BIOS or the test will not run. Do you know how to get into your BIOS and do you know how to arrange your drives so that this is possible? If not, do you know of anyone that can? It sounds complicated but it is not.

Once the disk is burned, reboot with this disk in your drive and the test will take over. This too, takes time; a lot of time but well worth it. You need it to do a minimum of 7 passes. If you have any errors you have corrupted memory and it can't be fixed, only replaced.

Question: Since updating your drivers have you had any more crashes? If not, don't worry about the above, but it is good information to have.

Help! Problem

I have a serious problem. Before, I could follow your instructions, my computer restarted and wouldnt load windows. A blue screen shows up and repeatedly restarts the computer, not allowing windows to load. I selected the option to disable automatic restart. A blue screen appeared with the following message...

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82F7D830, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

I dont have the OSD with me. Please help me! What Should I do??????

0x24 errors have to do with your NTFS files and this can be due to a physical problem with your harddrive. A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. As I said,there may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.

Can you boot into safe mode?

It is not allowing me to boot in safe mode and I do not have the windows disk with me. Are there any other solutions, even temporary, to this problem.

At four years old, you can find your hard drive has reached the end of it's days and needs to be replaced. They are smaller than standard PC drives, built to finer tolerances yet live a much harder life.

A technician or expert friend can take the drive out of your laptop, attach it to a normal PC with a special adapter. Then the content of the drive can hopefully be copied in total, or whatever is possible, onto a new laptop hard drive for reinstalling.

Once more the ugly question arises - have you got a full backup?

Memo to the techspot moderators - how about a sticky thread about how to back up your PC properly? Long overdue, perhaps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back