Windows XP random internet spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, when I am playing games or just browsing the web, around every 50 seconds my internet basically disconnects for 3 seconds, and reconnects. This really isn't a big problem for the internet, but when you are in a game trying to dodge bullets, 3 seconds is long enough for the enemy to tie you to a tree and use you as a pinata.
Also, every once in a while, the internet will completely stop, requiring me to right click the connection icon on the taskbar and click repair.
Sometimes when the spikes happen, Firefox completely crashes. (I've rewritten this post twice).

This only has happened in Windows XP, not when my PC had Windows 2000, not in Kubuntu, but just Windows XP.
I am currently using some Wireless-B card, think it is Linksys. However, the problem persists even when I use a wired connection.

I have tried:
Reinstalling windows XP(Yes, the problem has gotten to me that much).

Using a Windows Vista Ultimate 160Gb HDD - I didn't get internet at all, even wired. I got sick at my stomach while using Vista, so I accidentally backed over the hard drive with a triple-sized tank specifically designed to crush large vehicles which I accidentally crafted in my basement (I was supposed to fix the toaster).

Using a Windows 98 HDD - Temporarily fixed the problem, but the HDD is a 2gb and it's Windows 98.

Turning off the Windows Firewall - I know I know, I'm going to get 2% more tracking cookies a year.

Turning off AVG Anti-Virus (Also used in Windows 98 and 2000, where the problem doesn't exist.)

Using a different Wireless card - Didn't work.

Taking the computer to a friend's house - Didn't work.

Moving to another state and using a different cable company with a different router and modem. - Didn't work. It DID fix the feeling of small abandoned town, though. (The town was built around a correctional facility and a mental health center. Zombies everywhere. They really suck at making burgers, the burgers always tasted like they were made out of human brains or something.)

Biting my own arm off - Wait, I still have both my arms. I wonder who's arm I bit off?

Getting slaughtered on internet - these spikes tend to come at rediculously inconvenient times. Such as when a rocket is flying at my face, or if I don't move that helecopter is going to make pancakes by landing on me.

Scanning for Viruses - No viruses found.
Scanning for Spyware - A load of tracking cookies, but nothing serious.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

For some reason, you didn't tell us the brand and model, nor configuration in detail, nor age of the computer and how long you have had this trouble.
All of that might be helpful.

1) safe mode with networking.
Get BWmonitor if you want to see exactly when its stopped.
You could log on to your router and see if it is disconnecting from the internet itself, or if its just your computer.

Person_99 , for someone who is asking for help, you are very crude in your criticism of others. I will not quote you because I don't want it repeated.

Turning off your security is hardly an answer. I would have suggest your first move be to call the ISP and have them check to make sure you are set up correctly. You mention three different operating systems and specs and still it happens. The one thing they all have in common is the user. It's possible none of your systems are capable of performing and you want them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back