Windows XP Randomly Rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a problem for a while now and I have looked at drivers and I have even formated my computer in attemts to resolve this. I fear that it is hardware related and was wondering if anyone could help me.
Upon the sparatic reboots I always get "The system has recoverd from a serious error. Here is what was just recently displayed.

BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 84F593DC OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

I also attached the dump file that was made as well.
Could someone please look at it and let me know if they see anything that maybe of help?

First, I'd go download memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/ and run it overnight. Easy and quick ram test, which is often the culprit, plus it's free. If you get errors, you'll know it. It's rare you get a false positive, but it's possible, so if you only get one error over 10 tests, you can tend to say it's a false positive. Also possible is to pass even with bad ram, but again, rare.

Also, have you downloaded auto restart on critical error? That might give you a blue screen with more useful information. Right click on my computer, properties. Then under advanced tab, chose startup and Recovery settings, and then uncheck "Automatically restart". If you get a blue screen, write down all the good info and put it here.

If I get the chance, I'll try to take a look at the dump later. Sorry, I'm being lazy right now. ;)

BTW- Welcome to Techspot!

Goalie said:
First, I'd go download memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/ and run it overnight. Easy and quick ram test, which is often the culprit, plus it's free. If you get errors, you'll know it. It's rare you get a false positive, but it's possible, so if you only get one error over 10 tests, you can tend to say it's a false positive. Also possible is to pass even with bad ram, but again, rare.

Also, have you downloaded auto restart on critical error? That might give you a blue screen with more useful information. Right click on my computer, properties. Then under advanced tab, chose startup and Recovery settings, and then uncheck "Automatically restart". If you get a blue screen, write down all the good info and put it here.

If I get the chance, I'll try to take a look at the dump later. Sorry, I'm being lazy right now. ;)

BTW- Welcome to Techspot!

Thanks for the info. I will run the test and see if it is bad ram. Sometimes, I never get a bsod. It just goes off and then back on. I'll let you know if anythign happens with the mem test and/or I get a bsod.I also set it to complete memory dump and not the small one. Maybe it would provide more info. If you get a chance to look at the dump, let me know

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It`s difficult to be sure from just one minidump, so this is for reference only.

You minidump crashes at emu10k1m.sys, this is part of your Creative soundcard drivers. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers may help as might checking on the Creative website for any updated drivers.

The owning process is mirc.exe. mirc.exe is a process belonging to the MIRC Internet Relay Chat utility which allows you to connect to Internet based servers. If you don`t have the Mirc programme, then there is a possibilty that the merc.exe file is a trojan. You would need to find the filepath for the mirc.exe file in oder to determine if it`s legit or not.

The bugcheck of D1 means the following.

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

As Goalie says, it is quite possible you have a ram problem and you need to run the Memtes86+ programme to test your ram.

Start by addressing your soundcard drivers and making sure that the mirc.exe file is legit. If that doesn`t help, test your ram and of post any further minidumps you get.

You should not alter the size of your minidumps. The small 64K minidumps are fine.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It`s difficult to be sure from just one minidump, so this is for reference only.

You minidump crashes at emu10k1m.sys, this is part of your Creative soundcard drivers. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers may help as might checking on the Creative website for any updated drivers.

The owning process is mirc.exe. mirc.exe is a process belonging to the MIRC Internet Relay Chat utility which allows you to connect to Internet based servers. If you don`t have the Mirc programme, then there is a possibilty that the merc.exe file is a trojan. You would need to find the filepath for the mirc.exe file in oder to determine if it`s legit or not.

The bugcheck of D1 means the following.

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

As Goalie says, it is quite possible you have a ram problem and you need to run the Memtes86+ programme to test your ram.

Start by addressing your soundcard drivers and making sure that the mirc.exe file is legit. If that doesn`t help, test your ram and of post any further minidumps you get.

You should not alter the size of your minidumps. The small 64K minidumps are fine.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thats what I was figuring it was. In the past it has always happend when it appeared that sound was going to be played. (Just assuming though, No actual proof) That could be mIRC, gaming, or AIM for that matter. I tried reinstalling drivers to no avail. I formated and reinstalled since I thought it could have been done by the page file or hoping that any mess up in drivers would be repaired. I even turned it off and let it rebuild itself. THe sound blaster that I have is a really old sound card. I will try replacing it with somthing new. THe updated drivers for my card are a few years old since they do not update them for it any more.

I use mIRC all the time and there are sounds that are played through Invision and that is most likely when it crashed.

I ran the memory test for 23 hours with 12 passes and it did not find any errors. So I am am pretty safe in assuming that the ram is ok..

I really appreciate your help. Is there a way I can learn to read the mini dumps and figure that info our for myself? If it crashes a gain I can post that and see if it is the same issue with the sound card..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back