Windows XP randomly restart driver error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartjoe88

System:
Asus a8n sli deluxe
nvidia 6800gt
2 corsair xms 512mb ram
200gb western digital caviar SE 7200rpm
logitech mx1000 and keyboard
dell ultrasharp monitor

Ok. this is really weird. I built a new computer and for the first 2 months it was working fine. Then, i got hit with a few random restarts about device driver error. Strange because i hadn't installed any new drivers. Then this error turned into system hardware error. I had my friend fix my bios timings and then the restarts reverted back to device driver errors.

I checked windows update and all drivers seem ok. scanned for malware, viruses, and spyware and all clear. Also ran memtest86 five times and it seemed fine. However, i just ran prime95 and it detected a hardware error. ARGH. i have no idea what is wrong and it is killing me.

by the way, they are completely random restarts. not when i open an application or something. Thanks for the help guys.

And in what piece of hardware has the error been detected?
You could check temp and have a look inside your case, looking for unusual things.

If you goto mycomputer/properties & goto advanced tab, there is something in there about debugging & errors (sorry but not infront of xp machine!) Go in there & un-check automatically restart. next time your pc crashes you will see the "blue screen of death" error message. Copy that down & do a google search for more info on why its doing it.
My pc does it still sometimes to this day & its a whole range of different things. Basically I think XP pro or whatever dosent handle old software/hardware very well. But yeah, try that! :grinthumb

500 watt fotron power supply. 12V. more than enough.

my temp is fine. right now its at 36.8 C.

i disabled auto-restart and now am waiting for a BSOD

well.. i got a BSOD.
it says IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

some1 said that this was either ram or CPU overheat.

my CPU temp is 44 C so i dont think its it.

how can it be my ram if it passed memtest 5 times?

You still didn't tell me what hardware error it was that prime95 detected...
It could be RAM although it passed the memtest. I heard that isn't 100 per cent reliable (as many things). But it could be something different, too. I also have IRQL errors, but in my case, I know it's cracked capacitors on my board - at least, this should be it, hehe - and I have all sorts of BSOD during booting procedure.
You could try removing one of the RAM sticks as that helped someone else a few days ago.

nope. i removed a ram stick and it still got the BSOD.

how can i tell which hardware prime95 detected? it failed on the first part of the torture test.

I'm not familiar with prime95, but I assumed that it shows you which hardware is checked to be faulty or at which part it failed. Probably it wrote a log file somewhere.

You should remove each of the sticks once to see what it does, not just any one of them, but probably that's not the problem at all.

do yourself a favor and update your bios to the latest available version, as well as your windows chipset drivers (a general update of all drivers wouldn't hurt either). taking such actions will either fix the problem or narrow down the possible causes.

hmm.. when i run on either stick of ram by itself it seems to work.

does that mean my motherboard has issues? and yes, the ram is seated correctly in the right slots.

Same happening here. Unexpected shutdowns, problem caused by (unknown) device driver. All drivers and bios up to date. Thought it may be RAM as I'm using cheap Elixir brand, but Corsair XML is generally good RAM and recommended with Asus Mobo's so really smartjoe shouldnt have ram problems.
Like smartjoe, I've noticed a significant differnce in the frequency of this happening when using a second RAM chip in my Asus K8V mobo. When I installed a second chip, XP shut down every five minutes, it got better when removed. After using three Asus mobo's in three different systems, all had problems and I'm starting to think they're not all they're cracked up to be. I've run diagnostics on both chips the first failed one test on extended run the second had a catalogue of failiures. I'm just wondering whether minor faults in two chips increases the chance of shutdowns as a pose to when just using one, seems obvious and straight foward but I'm still unconvinced this is solely a problem with RAM.
Anyway, if anyone has any magic solutions that don't involve using explosives or a hammer I'd be very grateful.
As a point of 'interest' I was first using ME OS on this system before the clean install of XP and I wasn't getting half the problems I am now, but don't want to go back to ME as it had its own foibles and annoyances.
Cheers.

Anyway, if anyone has any magic solutions that don't involve using explosives or a hammer I'd be very grateful.
how does a tire-iron sound?

not worry, there are many things you can try. refer to your motherboard's manufacturer's website and find the memory compatibility lists. see if your madules are listed, and onder what category.

Well, we could always start from scratch. That being a bare bone setup with just the power supply, motherboard and CPU, while still in the case. When you start the computer up, you should here series of beeps. If you don't here a series of beeps, then you know one of the 3 components is bad.

I always recommend to people, who want to build their own computers, first put the major components together, outside the case, as I have written below.

To start with, here are a few tips that may help you in your endeavor. First, if you don’t have a ground strap, then you will need to discharge, any static charge that you hold, by touching the computer case, or any metal object. Before handling any static sensitive objects CPU, memory sticks (dims), motherboard, and expansion cards, be sure to discharge yourself first.

• If you are building your own computer, first try and put it together outside the case, this has a couple advantages, the first being, it may save your sanity, in the long run, and the second, it will verify your basic parts are working, with the minimum of effort (no assembly required). You want to start with the bare minimum (bare bones), that being, the motherboard, CPU, and the power supply. You may need a front panel speaker, if there isn’t a beeper, on the motherboard, and also the on/off switch, from the computer case, plugged into the motherboard’s front panel terminals (you could, just short out the two power terminals, if you don’t want to tear the power switch out of the case). Now, when you turn the computer on, you should see all your fans spinning and hear a bunch of beeps, so you now know that the motherboard, power supply, and the CPU all work.
• Now, this is very important, before going any further, unplug the power cord, from the power supply. Be sure to discharge your static, and now, install one stick of memory, I know, you want to put them all in, but only one stick, for now. Plug the power cord back in, and turn it on, you should hear a series of beeps (1 long 3 short), as the computer searches for the video card. Ok, turn it off, and unplug the power cord again, from the power supply
• Now, discharge yourself and inset your video card, then connect your monitor to the video card. Plug the power cord back in and turn it on. You should get the Power On Self Test (POST) one beep. Then, you should get a display, on your monitor screen, showing your basic boot screen, and a boot disk error, because you don’t have any drives installed. Up to now, if you have the monitor display, and the disk error, your system is sweet.
• Now, start putting these components, in the computer case, but first, be sure to look at the number, and the placement of the standoffs. Make sure you don’t have more standoffs than you need, and they all will line up with the mounting holes, on your motherboard. Sometimes, a standoff will be slightly leaning too far to one side, and may have a tendency to short out a circuit on the motherboard. In the case of the misaligned standoff, maybe try persuading it over in the correct direction with a needle nose pliers, or use a small piece of electrical tape around that mounting hole, on the motherboard.
• Once you have these components installed, in the case, and have your boot display, on the monitor, along with the disk error, then you know you have a good start.
• Now, install the drives, partition, and format your hard drives, setup the BIOS, install the operating system, and add the remaining hardware and drivers. Now, go take your computer for a spin around the block.

Well, I hope this helps.

Having Same Problem!!!!!!

:( hello, this is my first time on this forum and i found out about it from google, searching "windows XP auto restarting error" anyways i read the whole thread and i am having the same problem
my computer just restarts all of a sudden and it doesnt matter which applications i am running i gave my computer to future shop to check and they said there was no problem with it, i even reformated 2 times and it still happens :( it happened about 4 month ago and before that it worked perfectly (got it on 2004) it just happened a few minutes ago and when i come back in windows a error screen comes saying send error and stuff, this time i got a screen shot but i cant upload it for some reason but the signuter and the place i will type:
C:\DOCUME~1\ALISHA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2570.dir00\Mini072505-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ALISHA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2570.dir00\sysdata.xml

BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : 00F40CA1 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 804DC29C OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

please help, i would really appriciate it :(

Display Driver Problem-Computer Restarts-Fatal Error

Windows Display Driver error.

ialmrnts Display Driver error.

The system has recovered from a serious error.

Error Signiture:
BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BFAC714B BCP3 : EDA7099C
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

System:

Compaq Presario
S5200NX
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Intel Celeron processor 2.7GHz
1024MB DDR RAM Memory
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller 64MB
Direct X Version 9.0 c
Latest Drivers from Intel
Latest Drivers from Compaq
Latest Chipset Drivers
Latest Downloads from Microsoft Update
Latest BIOS update
Microsoft Service Pack 2
New Heat Sink and Processor Fan – (Old one wasn’t working)

Current Situation: In my BIOS the system registers my CPU fan as 0 rpm in red lettering. My average CPU temperature is around 44c/111f. I used to get a hardware error message on restart. I had to tell my BIOS to ignore the CPU fan to not get the hardware error on restart. When I try to play Guild Wars I cannot play longer than around 10 minutes before the computer either does one of two things. It either restarts completely with the screen saying afterwards your computer has recovered from a serious error. OR it shows a screen saying Display Driver Error restart computer to recover and then freezes. I have to hit the power button to restart. I have tried everything from updating every driver I could find or think of to updating the Windows XP and BIOS. I’m at a loss on how to fix this one. Thanks for your help.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

ComputerNewbie7.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

If that doesn`t help. Zip 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps together and attach them to a new thread in the windows OS forum.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back