Windows XP, rather annoying problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipmyster

Ok at the moment this computer believes it is running service pack 1 and needs updating, on the site it then tells me i have service pack 2 already.

And the next most annoying thing, is windows firewall is stuck ON at the moment and i cannot access the firewall i get an error( "Cannot open, unidentifyed problem"), the reason its stuck on is because it wouldnt open anyway and i think i was reading somthing from this site that googled up and it gave a way to do it, the registry key it used turned it on but at the end of the process it STILL wouldnt work at all, i know the location of all the allowed access programs in the registry folder i dont know what good that is though.

Can anybody help me please?

Thxs Dan

If you're still concerned about having a proper SP2 install, and you're on broadband, you can try downloading the full SP2 rather than relying on Windows Update to do a full test/scan:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...be-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

It's 266mb but it's the full deal. Perhaps this might replace any mis-matched components, or at least verify to you if your SP2 is complete/total.

As far as Windows Firewall goes.. you should be able to go into Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Admin Tools, Services and manually start Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing. Once this is enabled, you should be able to freely switch firewall on/off by visiting Network Connections/Properties/Advanced for each network device you're interested in changing. The regkey is only a way to bypass the checks for the service running (or not).

Hope this helps!

I have downloaded the full install it all goes well until it reads "Updating Registry" then its comes with " Access Is Denied " and uninstalls everything its done.

And the firewall its turned off that way but still wont turn off or let me do anything to it.

The main causes of problems installing SP2 are -

1.The presence of spyware.

2.Firewall or AV software running

3.Pirated copy of Windows.

I`m guessing No.1 is the cause here.In which case go HERE
follow the instructions,then post an HJT log in the Security forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back