Windows XP re-activation concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallabing

I want to reformat and reinstall my copy of Windows XP Pro. I learned about the WPA thing and it got my concerned. I had it installed for about 9 months now, and I changed my processer once, memory configuration 4 times, video card 2 times, and CD drives once.

If I reformat and reinstall, will I be able to succesfully activate over the internet, or will I be denied activation? :confused:

My copy of Windows XP Pro is an OEM cd kit bought with hardware, I bought it from Tigerdirect. It's legit and it activated the first time. Dont know about reformat because I made a bunch of hardware changes.

It's fairly new custom made PC

Pentium 4 - 2.8Ghtz Socket 775
MSI mobo
1 GB PC3200 in dual channel
X800 128MB
80GB 7200rpm IDE hard drive
Emprex DVD Rom
Sony floppy
Cooler master 430watt power suppy

yes you should be able to re-activate Windows. It largely depends on how many previous re-installs you've done with that particular CD KEY.

I've had to re-install WinXP every year... mainly for good practice and ecause my wife wont leave my computer alone.

Anyway, should you NOT be able to re-activate your copy of Windows ere is what you are going to have to do.

You'll get told by the PC thatyou have reached the maximum umber of activations for your key and a screen with a number to call plus a string of alpha numeric characters will be shown to relay to, at first an automated system. The number is toll free.

After you go through that, it is likely that the automated system will tell you that they can not automaticaly activate it, but fear not. You will be handed over to a live operator who will ask for that string of numbers.

They'll plug it into what ever they have and before giving you a special re-activate key, will ask you three questions:

Do you own this copy of Windows?
How many computers is this version currently installed on?
What is the purpose of your re-install?

Thats it, they'll give you the code you need to re-activate your windows. It sounds like a lot to do, but its all of a 10 minute task.

I hope that helps you

I have reactivated my OEm copy of XP several times. the phone call to MS is little more than a formality I have never had a problem with them and dont know anyone who has.

The biggest problem is if you have a OEM copy they don't want you to change motherboards. They let me do that with my upgrade copy--but the phone call was needed. Retail is good for that too.

You will not have any problems, it should work right over the net in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back