Windows XP re-installation problem. PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a few problems with my dell dimension 8400 since i bought it, and i have contacted dell support many times with my problems. they have offered up many ways to help solve these problems, but none had worked and unfortunately it has come down to dumping the system and re-installing windows xp.

My problem is mainly that when i start my computer i get this error: "We are sorry for the inconvenience, but windows failed to start properly..." (or something like that) and then i am asked to either start windows in safe mode or start windows normally. I can access windows normally and everything seems to work fine, but i would like to not see this error every time i start my computer.

One of the things dell support had me do was run "sfc /scannow" in the start menu to verify all windows files were intact. when doing so, i was prompted about 8 or 9 times to insert the windows xp CD, and when i did this it just continues but doesnt seem to fix itself. Upon repeating this process, i have seen that it prompts me to insert the CD the same number of times every time as if nothing happens when i do so.

So, i have tried using the windows xp installation CD to fix the problems. When windows is open and i insert the windowx xp installation CD it tells me that it cannot install it because the version of windows running on my computer is newer than the one on the CD. i have tried deleting windows xp service pack 2 to remedy this, and yet nothing has happened.

I have tried booting my computer from the CD, and at the "Welcome to Windows Setup" screen appears, no matter what button i press i get this error: "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer. Make sure hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer supplied diagnostic program. Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3." Also, i have tried pressing R to access the Recovery Console and the same thing happens.

So, basically what i am asking is how to either:

A) Fix the problems that i have with windows XP in other ways than from the installation CD (because i ca
nt seem to get it to work).
B) Fix the problems that i have with the windows installation CD.
or, C) Dump the entire system and reinstall windows XP.

FYI: i know hardly anything about computers. when referring to processes such as formatting or partitioning the hard disk, please explain EVERYTHING in enough detail where i can understand.

thank you for your time. -dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back