TechSpot

Windows XP... reloaded?

By Julio Franco
Feb 26, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. According to this CNet News' report, Microsoft is considering to issue another major update to Windows XP that would follow Service Pack 2, already expected later this year.

Issuing an update to XP would represent a significant shift for the software maker, which for months has insisted that it had no plans to create a separate version of Windows before Longhorn. A company executive confirmed to CNET News.com on Thursday that Microsoft is now discussing a product internally referred to as "Windows XP Reloaded."

MS seems to be worried that the 4-5 year gap between XP's initial release and Longhorn arrival is way too much opportunity to give competitors such as Linux. If SP2 is a more security-oriented patch then a second update would most likely consist of additional and updated features currently available in the OS.

2. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

First, Microsoft get's upset that Lindows is using a name similiar to there's. Now, they use Windows XP: Reloaded.

If that doesn't make Microsoft the largest hypocrit ever I dont know what does.

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,551   +301

I think acid, that was just Julio's attempt at catching your attention. They aren't actually going to call it that. It will be something like WindowsXPse if they even do it.

4. acidosmosis

LoL. Still, it's hilarious.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,551   +301

Ok, I made the age old mistake of not reading the link... so it wasn't a Julio only attempt, but I don't think I'd expect it to be called that when/if it hits the store shelves.

6. acidosmosis

Yea, I didn't figure it would but these days you never know with some companys. I wouldn't really be suprised if it did become official, but yea I'm not really expecting it.

7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Great.. Another Windows Me...

8. XtR-X

XtR-X TS Rookie Posts: 1,040

Yeah... I'd have to agree... they're just gonna rush it out to death.

9. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

I like the "free" part. More news about it here.

10. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 446

I'm not touching it of rat LEAST 6 months...had enough of bleeding edge issues to last me a lifetime.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.