Windows XP repeating boot cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm running windows xp, and AV security suite has infected my laptop. It wasn't my first encounter with this malware, and i've removed it from other computers before. so i went to restart my computer in safe mode with networking to initiate the removal of the program, to find that my computer won't boot in any mode other than starting windows normally.

so i went into the System Configuration Utility program and checked off the 'safe boot' and 'networking' boxes... and now my computer won't boot at all, even normally! it's stuck in this infinite cycling boot sequence.

then i tried clicking on 'disable restart upon system failure,' and this is the technical information i'm getting:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78A6524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

i've been hunting on the internet for hours for answers, and can't find anything. i've read to use an xp installation disk? which i dont have... please help!

i would highly recommend booting from a live environment to scan for malware and other infections:

ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/livecd/

download the .iso file (the last item on the list) and burn it to a disk with ImgBurn, or your favorite burning software. once the disk is burned, pop it in your computer's CD/DVD-ROM drive and make sure you've configured the system to boot from a CD first in the BIOS. once this is done, the computer will run the program on the disk and you will be able to scan the computer without the OS loading at all.

post back with the results, good luck!

Dr.Web is UNIX based i believe, amd you should be able to use it with any Windows OS. I know the Dr.Web AV software is Windows 7 compatible but I don't know about the LiveCD. It's very handy to have anyways, so I'd give it a try regardless. It should work fine, but let me know.

I did all you said, and I'm currently scanning the computer with the Dr.Web Scanner. It's been a few hours already, and it's not halfway done yet. But two files are listed in the bottom half of the window so far. Are those the infected files? Will I select them all and click "cure" or "delete" once the scan is done?

If this works, you are my life saver!! :)

Ok, I finished the scan and it came up with 4 results. I selected all of them and clicked 'cure.' They all ended up incurable, so I kept them all selected and clicked 'delete.'

Everything appeared finished/complete, so I shutdown and exit. But the problem wasn't fixed. Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back