Windows XP SATA Installation Problem

By Mbwilliams12
Dec 5, 2006
  1. I’m doing a fresh install of Windows XP on a new computer. I do not have a bootable XP CD but I do have a licensed version.

In the past, I have used my Win 98 CD to boot, format a drive (FAT32), and manually kick off the WINNT.EXE from i386 on the XP CP to start the XP installation. This is SP0. The setup process then allows me to format a drive to NTFS.

The Problem:

I now have the following Motherboard and Hard Drive
    Gigabyte GA-8I945GZME-RH
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I can boot using the Win98 CD and get through the first part of the WinXP setup (where it copies the setup files to the HD). I can access the C Drive and see all of the WinXP setup files and the $WINNT$ directories. When the setup program asks to reboot from the HD – Setup starts then gives a blue screen with:

“Unmountable Boot Volume”

I’m not sure what to do next. Is this a problem with my SATA drive? Do I need to press F6 and load a SATA driver during the setup routine? If so, where do I attain this driver, because Gigabyte doesn’t seem to carry a non-RAID SATA driver? I’ve heard you can configure "native" Serial ATA controllers to emulate IDE for the Windows Setup – but I don’t know if I have “native” controllers or this option or how to proceed with doing it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

During the early stages of the Windows XP setup, does it find your hard drive ?
  3. Mbwilliams12

Mbwilliams12 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

After I execute WinNT.EXE the XP Setup Loads. It copies all of the Windows XP setup files to the HD. These are located in c:\$WIN_NT$.~LS and such. It then asks me to reboot and remove my boot floppy.

I do so.

This is where I expect the system to go through the finding the drive, formating, and asking me if I want NTFS. Instead I get the unmountable boot volume error.

I think this is because I need to load SATA drivers. But I don't know where they are on my MB CD or what to use.
  4. Mbwilliams12

Mbwilliams12 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

Well - the problem is fixed. I had to slipstream SP2 into my XP SP0 installation CD - this also makes it bootable. Worked very well and IDed all of the new SATA drivers without the 132 GB limitation as well. Slipstreaming isn't easy - but it works.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.