Not open for further replies.
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Asus A8N-E NF4 SKT-939
4 x Corsair VS 512MB PC3200 DDR400 CL2.5 RAM
Maxtor 200GB 16MB 7200RPM SATA HDD
ATI X550 256MB PCIE
NSPIRE 450W-24 PIN DUAL-BBFAN ATX PS
SONY DW-Q28A 16x (DL) IDE DVD+RW/-RW

First I'd like to rule out the ram. I tried each of the 4 sticks individually in each of the 4 slots on the MOBO.

When I boot from the windows XP CD for the windows setup (right after it has loaded all the drivers and shows the main menu), my computer shuts down after 10-20 seconds.

I have installed windows XP in the same manor by working quickly before it shuts down; sometimes I'd get to the partition part but the PC would shutdown before I could start formatting etc.

If I get passed all of this and onto the copying files section it continues 100% with no problems.

I also did all the common tasks of airing out foreign particles throughout the case and made sure all plugs were in place.

According to Asus's Probe PC with minimal applications running currently:

CPU Temp: 40-50'c
MB Temp: 30-35'c
Vcore: 1.39v
+3.3: 3.25v
+5.0: 4.84v
+12.0: 12.16v

CPU Rotation: 1500-1600 RPM
CHIPSET: 4750-5250 RPM

I'm unsure of any other information to express, but for one thing I'm sure it's not my ram; I can't see all my sticks being defective and assuming the slots on the motherboard are not all defective.

Also, my computer has been known to overheat excessively ever since I purchased the system brand new in September 05'. From playing Risk, Risk 2 and the latest Morrowind my CPU exceeds 80'c and forces the computer to restart; unsure if this is related to the reason it is shutting down during windows setup I do not know.

I would like not to return to the business I purchased it from because they are a##holes; if it comes down to it and I can narrow down the problem I probally should.

Thanks team,

Luds

Have you checked if there's "shutdown enabled" in temperature / voltage / fan speed settings in BIOS?

Maybe it thinks the CPU fan speed is too low.

I tried disabling all features like that before in BIOS [v.1013] but still have the same issues.

Is it possible my RAM isn't configured properly by the auto settings and creating these issues? If so can someone find the settings; I've tried but haven't found specific enough results to follow through.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Have you checked if there's "shutdown enabled" in temperature / voltage / fan speed settings in BIOS?

Maybe it thinks the CPU fan speed is too low.

I also had a problem with error 51 in system event viewer and fortunately solved it by turning off command qeueing in system devices; not sure if this would have anything to do with it but I just thought I would aknowledge it, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back